Part 38

You wake up alone in your bedroom. It's morning and there are new sheets on your bed. The mattress feels... different. Almost like someone flipped it. Weird. You don't remember walking there. The last thing you remember before your dream self went to the underworld was being curled up with Zeldris. The thought makes you smile a bit. He must have carried you to bed after you fell asleep.

Did he?

Did he make your bed, too?

You don't remember making it.

You suppose it could have been a team effort.

The morning sun warms your face and, in spite of the shitstorm of events that happened yesterday, you smile a little wider.

You sit up, then slowly stand and stretch. Your body protests the movement, since it's still sore from the smackdown you went through yesterday, but you're alive so there's that.

You grab a towel and make your way to the bathroom. There are voices outside your bedroom door, presumably Lizzy and a handful of demons, but you ignore them for now in favour of a hot shower. You strip and toss your clothes on the floor. You'll deal with them later. You brush the disaster that is your hair and then turn on the water. Once the water is hot enough, you step into the shower. You scrub at your skin until it's raw. It's the only way to get rid of the blood caked on it. The red-tinged water swirls down the drain as you wash parts that protest the touch. Part of you is scared the wounds might get infected. When the water washing away the soap finally runs clear, you move onto your hair, which is also a bit bloody. You work the shampoo into your hair as best you can and scrub your scalp until small clumps of hair come out. You rinse yourself off and wait for the conditioner to soften your hair as you wash your face. Eventually you rinse everything really well and just chill under the stream of hot water for a while. Your utilities are included in your rent and you may as well take advantage of it after the last three days you've had.

Eventually you step out of the shower and wipe off part of your mirror.

You don't want to reflect on the last three days, but seeing the bruises now that they're clean kinda forces you to. A pattern of bruises from when you got yeeted into the wall, really dark splotches where your side got hurt, and purple bruising near your pelvis that almost looks like fingerprints. It's a rough sight. You wrap yourself in a towel and wrap your hair in a separate towel.

You almost don't notice the writing on the mirror.

That's not creepy at all.

Was the writing on the mirror a clever prank Lizzy had pulled?

You're reluctant to follow the instructions written on the mirror.

Turn off the lights.

Turning off the lights seems like a bad plan.

And you don't know who wrote the message.

But there are at least two demons and one person you assume is human in the other room who might come running if you scream and whoever wrote the message might have something important to say.

You turn off the lights.