Part 49

You are in a dungeon when you wake up, or so it seems. Your head still hurts but at least you can move.

Somewhat.

You're sitting on the floor and the chains that attach your arms to the wall are hindering your movement.

Across the room is-- oh shit. Estarossa must have won the fight because Circe is chained to the wall across from you looking angry.

"Hey," she says, "are you okay?"

Your head is pounding. You try to tell her that you're fine, even though you aren't, but the words just won't come.

She continues, "I tried to turn Estarossa into as much of a swine on the outside as he is on the inside, but some of the Commandments came before I could finish the spell. I think I managed to give him a tail, though, so that's something. Fucking giants are nothing if not committed, but I can't believe Drole's taking Estraossa's side when he's so clearly in the wrong. I mean for fuck's sake I get that he wants to weigh his options and stick to the rules, but there is a very clearly defined moral obligation to side with Zeldris on this one."

A pair of demons enter the room. They unlock Circe and lead her away, mumbling something about not wanting to make the situation any worse.

"Don't worry, sweetie, I'm sure your allies will find you soon."

The demons push her as she speaks. The goddess rolls her eyes and sparks fly from her hands but leaves the room.

You're alone.

In hostile territory.

Does Zeldris have any idea where you are?

You might be dead before he reaches you.

And what then? You'll never get to see him again.

Circe had assured you that your allies would find you soon, but would soon be soon enough?

You check your pocket, hoping that cell service is a thing that exists in the Demon Realm. Even though you have no idea where you are, exactly, how many dungeons can there be? Your phone is there, but the Agony Matrix is missing.

You panic.

Estarossa must have taken it from you after you passed out.

You check your phone. No service.

You hate how helpless you feel and you cry.

You try to reassure yourself and tell yourself that your friends are coming, that Zeldris is coming, but you can't shake the feeling that you'll die before he reaches you.

Sometime later, Estarossa enters the room. You tense as he approaches, but that's pretty much your full range of movement. Your breathing shallows more and more the closer he gets.