Part 36

Your astral form is in the Demon Realm again. You wish that for once you'd be able to dream of nothing and know that your body is safe because Zeldris is currently holding it, but at the moment your soul is a little preoccupied staring at the demon whose back is currently turned to you.

Any other demon would have been preferable. Even the Christian ones. You've heard Satan is actually relatively polite. Or if he's not then he's probably still better than the demon standing in front of you. The one who hasn't sensed your presence or is willfully ignoring it. Or is he the one who can't turn around and attack you because his commandment prevents him from moving as long as he continues to hate you? Whatever the case may be, you don't want to spend any more time around Estarossa than you need to. You go in the direction his back is facing.

"I know you're there," he says.

You freeze, your entire body is tense and your breathing shallows.

He hasn't turned around, so there's a good chance he can't.

Logic doesn't help the panic rising in your throat. There's a pillar ahead of you. You duck behind it in blind terror and lean on it for the two seconds before your legs give out and you slide to the ground. You can't stand to be near him. You cry.

You wish you could say that you were crying the nervous and silent tears of someone who could compose herself, but your face is buried in your knees and your hands are tightly wrapped around the base of your skull. Your body is wracked with sobs and you're shaking.

"Hey."

You look up to see a blurry valkyrie. She takes a knee and pulls you into a hug. You continue crying, but you hug her back.

"For what it's worth, I'm doing everything in my power to get the Demon King to see reason."

You realize that this valkyrie is not the same one you saw with the gods yesterday and it's enough for your breathing to slow a bit at the distraction. She wipes away your tears and you sniff.

"Thanks, Loki."

"Was I that obvious?"

"A little" you smile.

"I made you smile."

This makes you laugh a little.

"Pronouns?" you ask.

"She/her. I'm glad to see you smiling again."

She hasn't shapeshifted, so you guess she's going to remain a valkyrie for a little while. Maybe as a disguise so she can look into the political situation in the Underworld?

"Do you want to talk about it?" she asks.

You shake your head.

Loki cocks her head as if she hears something.

"I should be getting back to the debate. Will you be alright?"

You flash her a fake smile, "yeah."

She hugs you again and walks away.