Part 59

You follow Gowther as he weaves his way through the battle.
You try not to look at the bleeding and broken bodies littering the ground.
You try not to listen to the groans, the cries, and the whimpers of pain coming from those who are dying.
Steel against steel. Steel against flesh.
The splintering of wooden shields breaking under the strain of a warrior's weapon.

Drown it out, y/n. Drown it out.

Focus on something else.

Anything else.

Are you going the right way? 

You're not sure, but Gowther seems to know what he's doing. You realize you're heading back to the dais.

Maybe everyone has congregated there. 

No. 

Not everyone. 

A ton of your allies are still missing.

Including Zeldris.

Which means your body is still missing. And Estarossa is likely still in control of it. The thought sickens you.

Slowly, the battle around you grinds to a halt. All eyes are on Meliodas. 
Meliodas, who is covered in a pitch black demon mark. It takes up almost half his body. 

He stands on the Demon King's chest, sword in hand. The Demon King is breathing heavily and his crown has fallen off to one side of the dais. He appears to have been disarmed and blood is flowing steadily from the wounds on his face, arms, and torso.

The silence is deafening.

The crowd seems to be waiting for something.

Why has everything stopped?

In one fluid motion, Meliodas cuts off the head of the Demon King and kicks it so it falls from the dais and rolls towards your feet spilling inky blood in its wake. If you were in your body, you'd probably have been in the blood's splash zone, but your soul is safe from the splatter since the blood goes right through you. It does leave you cold, though. The demons and goddesses standing near you are drenched in blood. The head stops only a few inches from where you're standing and you raise your chin so you don't have to stare into the eyes of the demon whose face is frozen in his final hate-filled glare. 

One by one, all of the demons fall to the ground. Are they hurt? 

And where did Gowther go?

You scan the crowd. 

Where's Zeldris?

Merlin walks up onto the dais with the grace of a goddess. She lifts the Demon King's crown telekinetically and shrinks it. She places the crown on Meliodas' head and takes a step back. The dark markings on the new king's body fade. He raises his hand and the head floats back towards him. He affixes his father's head on a pike with a disturbing amount of squelching noises. The pike sinks into the ground at the centre of the dais. All can see the still-bleeding head of the former Demon King on display.

Vociferous protests from the demons in the crowd are silenced when Meliodas raises a hand and their cries of protest turn to whimpers of pain. 

Where's Zeldris?

The Commandments fall and energy appears to be stripped from them, leaving them looking weak and shaken.

You take off running, too scared to speak to anyone and too scared to stay.

Who can you turn to?

What happened to the Commandments?

And did Zeldris suffer the same fate?