Part 42

The dark mark reappears on Zeldris' face, but his attitude hasn't changed. Is the marking just a physical indication that he'll be using his commandment or some other kind of magic? You lead Zeldris down the road to the grocery store where you work and pause in front of the door. You tense. You know that Steve, your manager, is going to yell at you as soon as he catches sight of you and a big part of you wants to turn around and walk away. Zeldris squeezes your hand.
"I... sorry. I'm scared that my manager will yell at me."

"It'll be okay. I'm scarier than he is and I'm on your side."

You laugh a little. He pulls you into a hug.

"Come on, we'll do this together," he says.

You nod and walk into the store together. Steve spots you immediately and his face goes purple with rage. Zeldris steps in front of you, and Steve turns around but doesn't walk away. You step forward to be beside Zeldris, who has a terrifying smirk on his face.

"Turn around," he orders.

Is he talking to you? Should you turn around? You know he wouldn't tell you to do something unless he has a reason. Is he going to shoot mind control lasers out of his eyes? Is that why he's asking you to turn around?

You're about to obey when Steve turns around with a blank look on his face. Apparently Zeldris was talking to Steve?

"You're going to give y/n as much time off as she needs to deal with her personal emergency and you're going to apologize to her for threatening to fire her. After that, you will act as if you are not under my commandment until I order otherwise."

You're not sure you like the edge that has crept into Zeldris' voice. Your friend has remained calm and you can't really read his expression, but something in his voice sets you on edge. Steve looks into your eyes and there's something weird about them. Must be the mind control.

"I'm sorry for threatening you, y/n" Steve says.

"Uh, thanks..."

Steve walks away, presumably to carry out the rest of Zeldris' orders. Zeldris turns back to you and the dark mark on his face fades. The darkness of his eyes turns back to a brilliant green. He's himself again. You relax a bit. You're still a little scared, but you're grateful too. 

This is Zeldris, after all. 

And because Zeldris is, well, Zeldris, you push down the intrusive thought that Zeldris could turn his commandment on you at some point and instead you focus on all the evidence that suggests he would not do that. 

He has never taken advantage of the vulnerable positions you've found yourself in, he always respects your privacy, and he went up against the king of his entire race to protect your rights to your consent being respected. 

Part of you wants to berate yourself for even thinking he could turn his commandment on you, but you know that it's just a response to all the bullshit that Hunter put you through and the power dynamics that existed while he was abusing you. Or at least that's what the psychologist you spoke with about your situation with Hunter after you broke up with him might tell you. Does that mean you're scared you might be feeling... feelings? For Zeldris?

You decide to sort through your feelings, whatever they may be, later.