Part 51

Maybe he won't see you?

He turns.

He definitely sees you.

You squeak out a quiet and shaky "sorry for bumping into you, your majesty," before attempting to bolt.

You don't get very far. His darkness shoots out from his hand, catches you, and drags you towards him.

"Where do you think you're going?" he demands.

Did his voice get even more terrifying?

Your voice doesn't work well enough to answer his question. It seems to have died in your throat. You struggle.

"No matter," he says as he puts you into some kind of container and closes the lid. You bang your fists against the side of what appears to be a giant glass jar. The Demon King holds the jar up to eye level and shakes it until you stop hitting the walls of your new transparent prison.

Disoriented, you slump against the side of the jar and cry.

You tried to escape and somehow managed to get yourself even more stuck. You're trapped in the Demon Realm, missing your body, and now you're stuck in a stupid jar like a spider you might catch only to release it outside in the morning. Except you're sure the Demon King won't be releasing you the way you release Arachne's children.

You're going to die in this hellscape and even the gods don't know what will happen to your soul, but you're pretty sure the Demon Realm either has or is its own version of Tartarus so you can guess what will happen. You're sure Estarossa would just relish in the idea of torturing you for eternity.

You can't stop crying.

The Demon King lowers the jar and walks down the hall to what looks like a throne room. The swinging of his arms and the jar following the motion makes you queasy.

Can souls puke?

You don't want to puke in the jar. There aren't even any air holes.

Good thing souls don't need to breathe actual air, a fact you discovered during a really weird astral projection session where you wound up in the ocean for a little while.

You wish you were there now.

Floating in calm waters and watching the little colourful fish swim lazily among the long-sunken and slowly rotting wrecks of old ships. There's something so peaceful about watching the sun dance on the ocean floor beneath the waves. No one can hurt you when you're out there.

The Demon King sits on his throne and sets the jar by his feet. There's nothing about the throne room that can be described as even remotely close to peaceful. And the light here is harsh and far too bright. Nothing like the ocean. Two much smaller demons with spears stand on either side of the jar. You're not escaping any time soon.