chapter 14

Steve stayed at the hospital until morning when S.H.I.E.L.D. said they'd take him.  They would have taken him last night but they weren't sure if everything was working correctly.  The doctors at the hospital got the bullet out of him and did a few tests to make sure he was doing okay.

        S.H.I.E.L.D. is making him stay there until they find Evelyn.  Sharon is in the room with him to keep him company.  If Steve does go out she has to go with him.

        "They aren't going to catch her," Steve says walking around the room.

        "You don't know that," Sharon says watching Steve go back and forth.  "Maybe you just can't take her down because you think she's still that same person from back in the war."

        "Because she is Sharon!  She's the same girl that what my partner, she didn't shoot me, she knows me, She even said my name the other day.  Its something in her suit.  It shocks her and makes that" he moves his hands around looking for words.  "whatever she is, come back and take control of her!" he got a bit upset, and shouted more than what he would have liked, he just wanted Sharon to understand.  He sat down and put his face in his hands.  "Sorry, I didn't mean to shout like that."

        She moved closer to him and put a hand on his back, rubbing him slowly as he was hunched over.  "Its fine, but they plan on going out and finding her later, and you know they won't let you leave until they get her."

        "And what if they don't get her.  Sharon, I can help her I know I can,'' He stood back up and so did Sharon.  "I'm going out tomorrow, I can bring her back here and hopefully get her back to her normal self."

        Sharon walked up to him  and placed her hand on his stomach where he got shot.  He winced at the pressure.  "You really think I'd let you go somewhere with a wound like that, not to mention risking my job?"

        He sighed.  He didn't want her to lose her job because of him, he would feel terrible.  "Ten, fifteen minutes, and if not then I'll stay here until S.H.I.E.L.D. says that I can go back out, deal?"

        She took her hand off him looking up at him.  "No more than fifteen minutes, and I'm staying from at a distance so you don't get killed, if she's close to murdering you I'll just shoot her," she said strictly.

        "Guess its a deal then."

        A few days later Steve thought he was going to need a bit more than fifteen minutes.  He was confused on why she wasn't even hesitating, he was saying more than the past two times they had met.

        "Evelyn listen to me!"

        He would say as he was dodging kicks and punches that she was throwing at him.  They were out by the water at the Jefferson Memorial.  Steve has been close to being knocked in a few times.

        He didn't want to hurt her unless if he absolutely  had to, even if Evelyn would forgive him for it.

        He went to punch her but she quickly put her arm up to block it.  He grabbed the back of her head with his free hand and hit his head against hers.  He always hating doing that, he could never do it right, always made his vision a bit fuzzy afterwords, but he was hoping it had more of an effect on her.

        She stumbled back trying to clear her vision.  Steve took that as an advantage and kicked her in the stomach causing her to fall.

        She fell on her back and hit the back of her head hard on the concrete.  Steve grabbed her by her arm and picked her up holding her arms behind her.

        Sharon came out of the memorial building and over to them.  Evelyn struggled to get out of his grip.  She cuffed Evelyn's hands together.  "Come one, lets take her to the truck," she says and starts walking.

        Steve makes Evelyn walk, keeping a hand on her shoulder.  He could feel her tensing up, possibly thinking of a way to attack.  Sharon opened up the back of the truck and Evelyn stepped in.  "You sure you want to sit back there with her?"

        "I'll be fine Sharon, I need to talk to her, and besides, she be be able to get out, you never know," Steve got into the truck as well and sat across from her.  Sharon closed the door and got up front to drive.  

        Evelyn sat there glaring at Steve.  He was hoping to get though to her before they got to S.H.I.E.L.D..  "Evelyn," he talks softly as if he's trying to calm down a little kid.  "Its me, Steve.  Steve Rogers."

        Evelyn just glared at him, not saying a word and not taking her eyes off him.  "You can trust me, Evelyn.  I'm not going to hurt you, I want to help you," he wanted to reach out to her to give her a reassuring touch, but was afraid that she would freak out, and he wanted her to stay calm.  Steve sighed.  "I know you can speak English, and I don't want anyone to have to use force on you, and others wouldn't care if they hurt you, they they probably will.  S.H.I.E.L.D. thinks you're too dangerous and wants you dead."

        Nothing was going though Evelyn's mind.  She had her memory wiped, she couldn't think for herself if she didn't know anything.  What she did know is that he was her target, and she has to take him out and get back to base, she couldn't let HYDRA know that she's been taken.  Evelyn tried to kick Steve in the jaw but because they were so close she had to kick her leg out and up, which gave him enough time to block it.

        Steve grabbed her ankle.  "Evelyn!" he realized he was going to have to use a bit of force with her.  "Snap out of it!" he grabbed her ankle tightly, hoping not to hurt her too much, but enough so that she'd know to stop.  You could tell by her expression that it hurt.  Steve get her go once he felt her trying to pull back.

        A few moments later the truck came to a complete stop.  They both heard the door up front slam shut, then the door leading to the back of the truck opened.  Steve stood up, and went to grab her arm but she got up before he could.  He wasn't sure if that meant that she just didn't want to be touched, or if it meant that she was going to cooperate.