chapter 24

Evelyn passed out before Steve even came.  She tried to keep her eyes open, but which as much blood that she's lose she isn't sure how can can still be alive.

        All she remembers is hearing gun shots and a few people yelling orders at others.  She wanted to help Steve fight, but she couldn't even see straight, or even walk straight.

        She also remembers someone lifting her up, which caused her to shout in pain before of her back.  Who ever it was that tried picking her up panicked and started talking, but being half conscious she couldn't understand one word that came out of their mouth.  She wasn't even sure if it was a guy or girl speaking to her.

        Evenly woke up startled.  How long has it been?  Hours?  Days?  Weeks?

        The room was bright, too bright.  She was laying on her stomach on a semi-comfortable bed.  She tried rolling over but yelled out in pain, remembering about her back.  Instead she took her time, wincing at the stings.

        It was an all white room, some sea foam blue in random places.  A soft beeping going off.  She looked to her side as she sat up on the bed, crossing her legs and sitting up straight.   She was in the hospital.  She looked down at her arm, were a few tubes were coming out of her.  Her wrists were bandaged.

        She was alone in the room, but heard people running around out in the hall.  She remember everything she could.  Once she got outside she couldn't remember anything.  She wanted Steve here with her.  Actually, she wanted someone here with her, just so she knows she wasn't just dropped off and left here til the hospital sent her on her way.  She didn't have anywhere to do.  Heck she didn't even know what hospital she was at.

        Suddenly she heard the door open, but because a curtain was in the way she couldn't see until they were already half way into the room, which actually kind of scared her.  It was Steve that came in.  She smiled at him.

        "Shouldn't you be laying down and sleeping?" he said with a soft laugh and sat next to her on the bed.

        She quickly leaned in and hugged him tightly.  "You shouldn't have come to save me, Steve.  I didn't deserve it." she didn't dare let him go.

        He would have hugged her back but he didn't want to hurt her back.  "What?  Why would you say that," he put a hand behind her head, and kissed her forehead.

        "Because I shouldn't have agreed to do it.  Its not like I was ready to, and they're a lot smarter than me, I didn't stand a chance."

        Steve sighs.  "I'm never letting you go on a mission by yourself again," her arms are still wrapped around his torso.  He looks around, doesn't seem like a doctor is going to be showing up soon.  "I should probably go tell someone you're awake."

        She really didn't want him to leave her.  She felt him start to move.  "No!" he looked at her in concern.  "Please don't leave me here alone," she nearly begged.  Steve stayed where he was, smiling down at her.  "I love you, Steve," she then slowly rose her head to look up at him.

        "I love you too, Evelyn," she leaned in and kissed him on he lips, and he proceeded to kiss her back.