chapter 20

Nearly two weeks pass and Steve is taking Evelyn to S.H.I.E.L.D. he thinks it'll be nice for her to work beside him.  She has the skill to do what he does, he just need to find out what Fury thinks about it.

        "What the hell makes you think that she's stable enough to even be out in the real world, let alone to be able to do mission with people she's tried killing," Steve was talking to Fury in his office.  Fury was behind his desk looking at Steve who was on the other side.  Fury didn't trust her being outside in the hallway by herself, so had no other choice but to let her come in.

        She was sitting on the black leather couch quietly.  She's never said a word around Fury.

        "So sh'e should do nothing and make it mentally worse?"

        "You're the one that wanted to help her, maybe you should think of something to keep her busy so that doesn't happen," Fury scolds.

        "And what is it that you think I'm doing?  She already has all the skills to do the things I do, its not like she'll need training, and she'll be under my watch."

        "Rogers, she's has her mind messed with too many times.  I told you it would be easier to shoot her and get this all over with, or do something besides you watching over for her."

        "Well I wasn't going to let you do anything to her that Hyde would have done to her as well.  Its not like you'd tell me what you were going to do with her."

        Evelyn stands up and  makes her was beside Steve while she speaks.  "I'm either with you or against you, and trust me, you don't want me against you.  If you don't want me on your side then I'm guessing you don't want Hyde either, but it also seems like you don't want the bit of information that I've recovered.  Which is fine by me," she turns around and begins to walk out the office. 

        Fury sighs. The things she does know would be useful.  "Eberle," Fury says hanging his head.  She stopped in her tracks and he began to speak again after a short pause.  "Do you really want to work for S.H.I.E.L.D.?"

        "I don't see why else I'd be here if I didn't," was her smart-ass reply after she turned around to look at Steve and Fury.

        Fury gives Steve a look.  Steve look at him.  "She's also not the best at following orders, which surprisingly helps quite a lot with missions back during the war, she got us pulled out of a lot rough times with her ideas."

        Fury looks away from Steve to Evelyn again.  "Guess your part of the team now, Eberle," even if that nearly killed him to say.  Steve was actually surprised.  It only took ten minutes of arguing and Evelyn's smart-ass to get him to change his mind.  "Steve will tell you anything that you'd need to know, but if there's anything else, then don't ask me," he had turned around looking out the window.

        Steve looked over at Evelyn.  He grabbed his shield off the couch she was sitting on and walked her out of the building.

        "Is there anything that I actually need to know?" she was curious, there couldn't be too much to know.  The two stepped into the elevator.

        "Nothing that isn't common sense I suppose," he leaned against the wall raining of the elevator while she stood beside him.  "I'm sure we aren't even as strict as Hyde."

        Evelyn shivered.  "I sure hope not," she said softly.  Steve looked down.  He had seen all the scars on her back from occasionally getting whipped.  She started to rub her left shoulder with her right hand remembering it.  Just thinking about it made her back sting.

        Steve put an arm around her sat they go to the lobby of the Triskeleton.  He walked her out of the elevator as so.  "Don't worry.  S.H.I.E.L.D. is here to protect people.  They wouldn't do anything like that to you, and if anyone tried, I'd be there to get in the way," he smiled, and she smiled in return.