War

Hajara POV:

I opened my eyes, I'm back on my bed lying as the sunlight seeped in my room. My birthday was yesterday and Sarah  bought me a long sparkly dress. I loved my sister, she was the most amazing person in the world. She made yesterday the  best day of my life .... until the evening which ruined everything. My body became paralyzedwith terror after hearing the sudden horrifying news.

Last night after dinner we all had few pieces of my birthday cake and my dad also surprised me by taking a break from his job and inviting aunt and Uncle over. 

Flash back:

We all gathered at the dinner table and started gobbling our frosty chocolate cake down when dad decided to tell  us that Germany, England and France has declared war upon America. My family was already suspecting it deep down, but who knew it was this early.

The adults were whispering in their hushed voice with fear lacing each word. The grown ups had fear etched on their faces, not really knowing how to make their next move in life.  My own mind was crowded with the upcoming horrors that we were obliged to face in the near distant future. It was predicted that as each day past, the war was doomed to worsen. 

Can we can survive World War Three? 

Dad frowned, "Apparently did you hear? America's president agreed and accepted the war. But I was thinking ... we  should leave the country before things worsen but the bad news is that we can't even leave the country with everyone because of Sarah's passport  which is expired and we ... need to make a new one and it'll take long. Very long! Until then we are stuck her and we gotta survive it." My dad exclaimed looking down in his plate with worry. 

"I seriously don't understand why Americans had to accept the stupid war for no god damn reason. Why can't they understand that it's 2070 and there will be enhanced weapons coming out than the ones used in World War Two?" Dad told his brother. 

 "We will be moving to Canada soon after Sarah's documents are ready." Aunt said, "They said  we will be getting it in about three month because apparently there is a huge waiting list, everyone is desperate to leave. So until then we have to wait which I guess will be enough time for the war to start and get worse." My food was stuck in my throat as I heard the words I never wanted to hear. 

Mom picked at her food, "It's suspected that the war will be brutal!"

How will we survive all this? 

"She needs a passport to leave the county and it will take few months to be made and... since there will be many people leaving the country, their will be a bigger line." My dad continued irritated. 

"Ughh."  Fear was suddenly controlling my whole body, I didn't want to hear all this. I don't even know how we will be going to school and all. 

"My I be excused? I don't think I am feeling well." I got up tiredly making a dash to my room. Will we even be safe here? Or was I destined to die soon?

Soon after dinner when aunt and uncle left, mom entered my room with Sarah to check on me. "Hajara dear." My mom started, "School will still be open for few weeks because the President  thinks education is important even during war and he declares that all student should not stop their education." She said rolling her eyes, "So, both of you will stay home for the next few days until we make arrangements." She sighed running her hand through her long brown hair which was identical to mines.

"Of course the President thinks education is important." Sarah said sarcastically, rolling her eyes. "He'd rather want us dead studying than save the country as soldiers. By the way what arrangements?" We both curiously looked at mom with anticipation.

I nodded, "Yeah mom, what is it?"

Mom looked horrified for few seconds which was quickly adjusted with a poker face, there was clearly something that she was hiding. "Can't tell you guys because it's surprise." She winked, "I don't know if you two will like it or not but you have to deal with it if you want to... live and uh... survive for the next few months." She said replacing her smile with frown, "The decision we made is final whether you guys are ready or not." 

Her eyes saddened holding a mixture of sadness and pain, "Okay girls I am going to bed." She quickly added, hastily getting up to leave the room and slamming the door behind, not letting us ask her any further questions. Our mouths were hung open, there was really something fishy that the adults were hiding from us? 

I am really scared. Will it be an okay surprise?

I slumped down on my bed while Sarah leaned on my headboard drumming her fingers on her thigh. We both drifted off to our own worlds, thinking about our unraveling future that was awaiting ahead.