I Remember Liking the View

Bakugou packed the last of his things for their camping trip into their packs and waited for Eijirou to be ready. He looked down at the shirt he was wearing and smiled. Eijirou had given it to him almost six weeks ago, the night he left to go back to his own house on the other side of the country for the last time.

He'd organised everything in a month and had moved in with Eijirou two weeks ago. He knew this was where he was always supposed to be and he smiled again as he traced the red on his shirt and remembered receiving the gift.

"I got you something," Kirishima had said, giddy with nerves, as he passed Bakugou a bag.

Bakugou opened it and pulled out two shirts. He let the second one fall to his lap as he unfolded the first. It was a simple black tee with a red R on the front, much like the buckle of Kiri's belt.

A small smile played over his lips at the cute gesture.

Kirishima swiped the discarded shirt, "This one's for me."

"You bought yourself your own merch?" Bakugou asked with a snort.

"Nah, look!" Kirishima said as he turned the shirt to show him the front.

It was a grey shirt with a green and red grenade on the front. The words Ground Zero printed underneath.

Kirishima suddenly got a little nervous, "You don't have to wear it, it was just for fun," he said as he lowered the shirt back down.

"You're such a dork," Bakugou smiled fondly at him. "But I don't need it."

"Huh?" Kirishima asked, scrunching up his eyebrows.

"I already have one," Bakugou said simply.

"You what!?" Kirishima's face lit up like a damn Christmas tree.

"So what? You wear that Crimson Riot one all the time. I can't wear hero merch too!?"

Kirishima shook his head, "That's because Crimson's iconic! Kat. You, you," Bakugou had never seen him quite lost for words like this. If his smile got any brighter it would have blinded him, "You actually wear my shirt?"

"Shut up."

"Fuck that's cute, Kat."

He was broken out of his thoughts by Eijirou coming out of the bedroom. "I think we've got everything. Will you tell me where we're going now?" he almost whined sleepily.

"No," Bakugou replied simply, hoisting his pack onto his back and heading to the car.

When Kirishima was settled in the passenger seat, trying to keep his eyes open, he wondered again where they were going and why he had to be awake so early. Truely, he was excited to go hiking again, he hadn't been in so long but he'd probably be more excited when he was more awake. Like after the sun had come up. When it wasn't five thirty in the morning.

Bakugou noted Kirishima silently grizzling and reached over to lazily twine his fingers with his, "It'll be worth it, love."

Kirishima side eyed him at the amused tone in his voice. "Unlike you, the rest of us don't go to bed at 8:32pm," he teased grumpily.

"Do I need to remind you that neither of us went to sleep at 8:30 last night," he asked with a sly grin.

Kirishima cracked a small smile, "That was your fault."

Bakugou just squeezed his hand in response and they lapsed back into comfortable silence.

After a few hours, Bakugou pulled the car onto a dirt road that seemed vaguely familiar and Kirishima perked up to look around as he pulled over and got out. Strapping his pack on, Kirishima watched Katsuki look around as if he was remembering which way to go. He picked a direction and decisively headed off, Kiri trailing after him.

After a couple of hours of Kirishima's chatter and Bakugou's mostly grunted replies, the blond stopped to assess where they were and decided to sit and have lunch next to a quiet river bed. They didn't rest for long though, Bakugou seemed in a hurry to get to where they were going. He was a little quieter than usual and seemed to be playing with something in his pocket.

Kirishima didn't press him for why, he knew he would tell him if he needed to talk about it.

When they finally reached the foot of a hill that afternoon, Bakugou turned to him, "I think we should look up here, see what the view's like."

Kirishima shrugged happily, "You're the one who knows where we're going." Bakugou's answering smirk had a shiver crawling it's way down Kirishima's spine.

They crested the hill and Kirishima stopped short, turning to look around. "Is this-" his brow furrowed in thought as he looked at the vaguely familiar surroundings before he brightened in surprised understanding, "Is this our hill?"

Bakugou smirked at him, knowing full well what he was asking, "Our hill?"

Kirishima still had his back to him and he missed the teasing lilt to his voice. "You know, the hill from the training camp, with the tent and the..." he trailed off.

Bakugou came up behind him and wrapped his arms around his waist. He put his head on his shoulder and spoke softly against his ear, "And the sex?"

Kirishima snorted softly, "I was gonna say first time but yeah."

Bakugou nodded, "You always said we should come back here."

"I think I remember liking the view."

Bakugou scoffed at his words and turned away to set up their camp.

After a dinner of foil wrapped vegetables that Bakugou had tossed into their little fire, they sat just outside their tent and watched as the sun faded behind the horizon, slowly giving way to the stars.

Kirishima felt Bakugou looking at him and he turned slowly, letting his gaze drift over his features, finally coming to rest on his eyes. He was surprised by the intensity he found there. It was an expression he wore when he was deep in thought. The waning light caught in his irises softened the look and Kirishima was unable to look away.

"I meant what I said," Bakugou said quietly.

A soft, "Huh?" escaped Kirishima's lips in confusion.

"I meant what I said, about life being so fucking short."

Kirishima nodded slowly, not quite sure where this was going.

"You're my best friend and you've always had my fucking heart. You know my shitty weaknesses and insecurities and you still never make me feel like I'm not enough," he was still looking at the horizon as he spoke but Kirishima's eyes were focused solely on him.

"You're so fucking kind and patient. I love your dumb jokes and your stupid manly attitude. I love your too bright smiles and I, I... fuck, I still like your shitty hair."

Kirishima couldn't wipe the grin off his face if he tried even through the tears starting to collect in his eyes. Katsuki has never said these things out loud, not like this.

Bakugou turned back to look at him and all the harshness was gone from his expression, "Life is too short and I don't want to waste any time that I could be with you. You make me want to be better. I want to stand next to you as you face the world and show them that you're mine," Bakugou swallowed and twisted around to stand up as he reached into his coat pocket with a shaking hand, "And that I'm yours."

Everything in Kirishima's world slowed down and he watched in slow motion as Katsuki bent down on one knee and popped open the box in his hand.

"Red, will you marry me?"