➵ XXIV. Insecure

For readers who like have pictures to base a character's appearance off of, this isn't exactly how they look, but it's the closest I could find to how I imagine them. I changed the hair and eye colour of all of them (my photo-shopping skills aren't the best), making them look more like the character. I couldn't find the names of all of them.

Wednesday, January 10th, 2018, 12:00pm

Asher's POV

"Myers," I say, answering my phone.

"Michael Myers?" a voice replies.

I recognize it to be River, Alpha of Nightstalker pack and a relatively close friend of mine. If I'm being honest, I'm surprised Zaine hadn't called me Michael Myers at least once.

"It's Halloween," I say, quoting the movie, "everyone's entitled to one good scare."

River chuckles.

"Are you two done?" Nick's voice asks.

He's the Alpha of Redriver. I guess it's a conference call, with more than just two people talking. I knew it was Nick's number calling me, not River's.

"Yes, we're done," River replies.

"For now," I add. "How's your first year as Alpha going, Nick?"

I hear him chuckle softly. "Not bad. Drake's been helping when I need it."

"Not surprised," I reply. "How is my favourite diabolical Alpha anyway? I haven't talked to that psycho in a while."

"I'm fine, thanks for asking, Asher," Drake's voice says. "Though I don't really appreciate the nickname."

"It's true though, Drake," River says. "We all know your medieval torture methods are fucking scary as hell."

"It gets information out of my victims just fine," Drake replies. "And it's kind of fun."

"Psycho," I sing playfully, leaning back and throwing my feet up on my desk. "How many Alphas are in this?"

"Just five," Nick replies. "You for Moonblood, me for Redriver, Drake for Bloodlust, River for Nightstalker, and Blake for Silverblood."

"Blake's here?" I say. "Why's he always so quiet? And why was I the last one added to the call?"

"I don't waste words as much as the rest of you do," Blake replies.

"And because that's just how it went," Nick adds.

I huff. "I'm offended. I thought I would've been one of the first."

"Deal with it, Asher," Drake says.

I huff again, pouting even though they can't see me.

"Not that I'm not enjoying this, but was there a reason for this call?" River asks. "I have a feeling my beta and twin brother are play fighting again and destroying the pack house living room, and I'd like to get them outside so I can show them I'm still the best fighter."

I roll my eyes, smiling. Even though he's the Alpha of the strongest pack around, River still finds time to be completely childish, playful, carefree, and idiotic. But only people who he trusts know that. To most people, River's a dangerous, stone-cold killer of an Alpha, doing what it takes to protect his pack.

"Yeah, I'm inviting all of you, and your mates, over to Redriver for an meeting to go over our alliances," Nick replies. "And to make the ones between my pack and all yours official, since it's just been an unspoken agreement. I was thinking maybe a lunch meeting in a couple days, on this coming Saturday, the thirteenth?"