➵ XXVII. Mate Against Mate

Saturday, January 13th, 2018, 11:30am

Partners In Crime (feat. Ash Costello) - Set It Off

Rei's POV

Some of them know about us, I say to the Royals as we walk. Almost there. Nick, Axel, Luke, Cam and Drake know about the rogues, because I let Luke, Cam and Eric tell them last year. Remember the battle between Redriver and Bloodlust?

Of course, Clove replies. Changeling wouldn't stop bragging about saving River.

When Zaine doesn't give a snappy reply, Clove and I both look at him, worried.

We met up with the rest of the Rulers, and a large group of Thatcher's rogues, the ones who like attack for fun, called the Killers. Most of them are wolves, while two are witches and two are warlocks. All the werewolves are in wolf form, with the magic users walking with us, close to their group leader, meaning Clove, Killian and Zaine are next to me.

You OK, Changeling? Killian asks gently, his hand holding Zaine's, holding his Pantera claws in his other hand.

Zaine looks up at him, fiddling with his spiked baseball bat. Honestly, I'm kinda nervous. We attack to rescue, not for fun. Yeah, we've gone with King before on these, this one just feels more wrong. I don't like it.

Neither do I, Killian growls. He attacked Chase, I want to attack him.

He's strong, Flash, and he's crazy, Clove says, her grip tight on one of her throwing knives. We can't be sure you'd make it out alive.

So attack him with me, Killian says.

I shake my head softly. They outnumber us, now and overall. There are more of Kings rogues here now, and King has more followers overall, and not all of mine are strong enough fighters to fight back. Yes, I want to fuck him up ASAP for hurting Chase, but I don't know what the outcome will be. We'll have to wait.

Killian huffs softly, but nods. Anyway, Changeling, singing always calms you, so why not try it?

Zaine nods softly. He thinks for a few seconds, then starts singing. I mentally grin, recognizing the song.

"You'll never take us alive
We swore that death will do us part
They'll call our crimes a work of art
You'll never take us alive
We'll live like spoiled royalty, lovers and partners
Partners in crime
Partners in crime"

Already I can tell his nerves are fading. He voice doesn't waver as much, and he sings the notes strongly. I can see his body becoming less tense as he swings his bat in soft arcs.

The other rogues look at him strangely, then seem to just accept that they'll be fighting with singing in the background. As we step into Redriver territory, the witches and warlocks take to the trees, climbing up to the lower branches. Zaine however, stays walking and singing beside me, hand resting on my back, fingers gently fisted in my fur.

"This, the tale of, reckless love, living a life of crime on the run
I brush to a gun to paint these states green and red
Everybody freeze, nobody move
Put the money in the bag, or we will shoot
Empty out the vault and me and my doll will be on our way"

"There they are," Killian says, pointing ahead of us, his eyes glowing.

Through the trees, I see one of Redriver's patrols running towards us.

"Oi, singing psychopath," Clove calls. "Get your ass up here."

Zaine rolls his eyes up but climbs up and crouches next to Killian on one of the branches. They're easily seen, figures perches on the snowy branches of the trees above us. They'll join in during the fight, after analyzing it from above.