Chapter 8: You're a dumb dumb.

"Morning, Squirt." Conner ruffles my loose brunette hair and I groan in displeasure, before swatting his hand away and continuing munching on my cereal.

"Stop it." I growl at him when he tries to do it again.

"Okay," he raises his eyebrows. "What's wrong?" He asks and pours my  chocolatey cereal of goodness into an empty bowl he placed on the countertop.

"Nothing." I mutter, before stuffing another spoonful of Coco Pops into my gluttonous mouth.

"I know you, dude," he rolls his eyes. "What's troubling my little sister?"

He actually says that as though we have been perfect siblings all along and that there wasn't a drift between us.

Stop it Hailey! Move on from the past.

Then, the sound of heels on the wooden stairs resonates in the air, chasing away the awkward silence, which just decided to grace us, between Conner and I. My mother's elegant figure suddenly appears in the kitchen, her opulent pèrfume trailing behind her as she walks past me to the fridge. 

"You look good," Conner compliments our mother.

I agree with him. She looks beautiful in her outfit. She's wearing a red, tight-fitting, off shoulder, knee length dress. It accentuates her gorgeous curvy body, which she really worked hard for, and the colour brings out her emerald eyes. Her hair is pulled up into a neat bun and two diamond earrings decorate her ears. The outfit is completed with natural make-up and a pair of red bottom heels.

"I agree," I say. "What's the occasion, dear beautiful Mother?" I ask before eating a spoonful of cereal.

"Nothing," my mom shrugs casually as though it's normal to wear such an outfit on a random day. "I just want to look good for once."

"But you always look good," Conner slants his head in confusion. "Is there something we should know?"

"Ugh," she rolls her eyes playfully. "I have a very important meeting today and they said that we should dress to impress. So I did exactly that."

She'll definitely impress people.

"Okay." I shrug, not in the mood to interrogate an adult. "Hope your meeting goes well."

"Thank you." She grins happily. "I'm sure everything will turn out great, 'cause I have a good team."

"What time's the meeting?" My brother asks.

"In about..." she glances at the kitchen clock. "Oh no, I'm late!" She quickly scurries out the kitchen after grabbing a granola bar and a banana, without even answering Conner's question.

"You have quite a mother." Conner breaks the silence my mother just left behind when she left us alone again.

"Luckily, she's your mother too." I roll my eyes at him.

"Whatever," he retorts. "Anyway, you still haven't answered me yet." He leans against the marble countertop and watches me attentively.