Chapter 13: This Is It

Chapter 13: This Is it

"I can't believe that my baby as finally grown up," My mother starts tearing up and fans her eyes with her manicured hands.

Mom has always been too emotional beyond my comprehension. Once, she cried after watching me act in a school play in the third grade. To make matters worse I only had about two or three lines in the entire two-hour play.

"Well, believe it because she's already leaving you." Conner purposefully dampens her mood even further, and I whack him upside his head for being the idiot he is.

"Ow!" He shrieks at the painful contact. "You really need to stop going the gym. You hit like a man." He rubs his head and glares at me with a childish pout.

"That's the point," I grin proudly. "It helps me in situations like these; to prevent idiots from making other people feel worse than how they already feel."

"Stop it, you two!" Our mother reprimands us for starting yet another childish banter. "Can you, for once, behave like mature adults."

"Yes ma'am." We both reply in pretence shame.

"Although she started it." Conner still carries on after having been reprimanded.

"I was only trying fix your brain." I justify myself and shrug my shoulders casually.

"How about fixing your manners for a change, huh?" Conner retorts and pokes the side of my head.

"Quit it!" I slap his arm painfully.

"I swear they gave me the wrong children at the hospital," mom sighs heavily and shakes her head in defeat.

"Flight 201 to California will be leaving in 20 minutes."

"That's my cue," I announce proudly, bubbling with excitement.

Finally.

I am finally in front of the door to getting a sense of freedom. Sure independence comes with endless responsibilities, but I am willing to endure them all -- not that I have a choice not to. The point is, moving away also means moving away from the endless drama, deceitful conspiracies, and the perpetual lies at home. The big move does not guarantee permanent freedom from it all, but, it offers a break long enough to just forget it all, even if the freedom is short-lived.

"Be safe, honey," Mom pulls me into a tight embrace, almost suffocating me, but I accept it nonetheless and return it. "And be sure to call me as soon as you land in LA."

"Will do, Mom." I nod and grin excitedly. "By Bro," I stretch out a fist to Conner but he simply ignores it and pulls me into a rough embrace.

"By Squirt," he squeezes me so tightly that sounds of cracking bones can be heard from my body. "I love you." He ruffles my hair, causing me to shove him away for ruining my hair.

"Dude!" I glare at him. "Took me five minutes to style this hair." I point to my now ruined hair.

"You spent five minutes too short," he scoffs playfully.

"You better get going before you two start your shenanigans again and you miss your flight," Mom interrupts us knowing quite well how accurate her statement is.