Chapter 9: Me Before You

Chapter 9:
Me Before You

"He wants to die."

Silence.

That's all that can be heard right now. Not anyone breathing or moving, but...

Pin. Drop. Silence.

But what can be uttered after such a statement escapes one's lips? It's not like another's words have the ability to retract the harrowing wish of the subject of this gruesome matter.

"Who wants to die?" I reluctantly ask the question, which has been suffocating me, after a few seconds of the unbearable shower of silence.

"T-The guy in the movie." She responds with a sad pout and a sniff.

"T-The guy... in the... what?!" I ask in perplexity. "You are talking about a movie?!"

She nods.

Seriously?! Way to give me a heart attack, Peyton.

"Dude!" I frantically breathe out and throw myself on Peyton's girly bed. "You almost gave me a heart attack, just for a movie!"

"It's not just any movie!" She cries out in argument. "It's Me before You! "

I analyse Peyton, with a raised eyebrow, for a quick minute, scrutinizing her thoroughly, leaving no detail unhindered. Her natural face is exposed like never before, like a clown who had decided to take of their mask of make-up for a moment ( no offense, Peyton). Her long tanned legs are clad in grey Addidas sweatpants, and her teary face is littered with traces of chocolate on the corners of her lips.

"Are you on your period?" I ask her knowingly. She only permits herself to lower her standards to this level of hideousnesa on two occasions:

(1) When the time of month has arrived.

(2) When a certain boy, Luke, dampens her spirit due to a trivial quarrel.

"Gee," she retorts. "Wonder what gave me away." She says sarcastically and dramatically waves her hands around.

"Figured." I nod my head.

"I'm not going to school," she laughs humorlessly with a shake of her shoulders. "Not like this anyway." She shrugs.

"I understand." I nod, agreeing. "But are you certain that this is nothing more than you make it to be?"

Honestly, I've seen Peyton down in the dumps, a few times more specifically, but she'll still have her usual spark in her orbs. Sure she'll be quite a package to handle and sure she'll be a pain in the butt, but today, she's lower than I have ever seen her. And that is saying something.

The usual spark has disintegrated, erased from the face of the world without a trial of footprints. The summer her eyes portrayed is now replaced with the gloomy storm, causing coldness to penetrate through her optimistic being.

"Y-yes," Peyton nods her head but simultaneously turns in order to avoid eye contact.

"Peyton," I drawl out her name, signalling that I am not eating up the lies she is feeding me.

"What?" The word comes out high pitched from her lips. "Nothing's... wrong..."

"Yeah, and I am Elastic Girl," I mutter sarcastically, not buying the words she is uttering.

"Fine," she sighs, finally surrendering her failed attempt at lying. "It's Luke."

I slap a hand on my forehead and let out a dejected sigh. "When is it ever not him?" I ask rhetorically. "What happened this time?"

My enquiry causes Peyton to heave out a burdened sigh, followed by a drained Peyton stuffing her face into a pillow. "He... he's leaving me." She groans out in distraught.

"He's breaking up with you?"

"Not necessarily," she sighs and fidgets with her fingers. "We're going to separate colleges in different places. He's going to Michigan and I, New York."

"I know how you feel," I try to ease her damp mood. "Tristan fled the town and left me all alone, but I'm coping, aren't I?"

Even though I'm coping, doesn't mean I'm perfectly fine with the whole ordeal. I just tell myself each passing day that life with somehow work for the better. I might not see it now, but I'll see it eventually.

I have no choice but to be strong, anyway.

"But I don't want to 'cope'," she groans. "I want to be with him."

"Then move to Michigan. Problem solved."

"What about my dreams of going to New York? I can't just drop them."

"Honestly, Peyton, no amount of words can make this decision easier for you," I say truthfully. "The decision is all up to you though. Talk about with him and hear what he thinks."

"Okay."

........

A/N: short, I know. But I ran out of words for this chapter and decided to just leave it short.

Anyway please vote if you enjoyed it and comment.

- bye!