Chapter 11: "I wasn't talking about Luther."

Dedicated to bulasarkar for her awesome support. PM me if you also want a chapter dedication.

Chapter 11: "I wasn't talking about Luther."

"It's Tristan, isn't it?"

My words hang in the air, answered and almost suffocating. There has been a shift in the atmosphere, the sounds of life outside the walls of my room are drained out by the palpable silence. Even breathing is a difficult task to do at this moment.

No one dares to answer my question. Their tongues are twisted, their eyes filled with fear and hesitation, and their bodies stand as rigid as statues. Jordan then gulps with nervousness, tearing the border of silence.

Their silence is my answer. My prediction is correct in their lack of speech. I nod my head and walk towards the door.

"Hailey, wait!" Jordan screeches. "We can explain."

"Explain what, Jordan?!" I burst out in fury. "All this time you've been in connection with him, yet you said nothing. I knew that you talked to him but I just let it go thinking that it's just the feeling of wanting to see him that made me think that way. You guys could've at least told me about his whereabouts - "

"We couldn't do that," Chase interrupts me. "It was for the best."

"For the best?" I scoff at him. "So you mean to tell me that all those hours I spent brooding about his departure was for the best? You don't know how guilty I feel for not forgiving him, and how - "

"We understand, Hailey. But -"

"No you don't!" I harshly cut Jordan's words. "You have no idea how hard it has been for me. So don't you dare say you know." With that being said, I storm out of the room, leaving the two people I thought I could trust behind.

I hurry down the flight of stairs and into the living room where people are sending their final greetings of good luck. My mind doesn't even adjust itself to accommodate the people's attempts of grabbing my attention. My mind is focused on one thing: leaving this house so that I can finally get some form ventilation.

I need to breath. Everything is suffocating me at this moment. All the lies, broken trusts and the information hidden from me. Conner, Henry, my mother, and now even Jordan and Chase. I guess I don't deserve an honest and happy life. It might be a curse of some sort. Someone might have cast a spell on me, banning me from reaping the fruits of true friendship and family.

"Hailey!" Conner shouts behind me, but I choose to ignore him.

Funny how I strongly believed that maybe a change in schools will give me a break from my life's endless drama. When my parents suggested that we move places, I disagreed and bargained to at least change schools only. They were hesitant at first but I persuaded them into staying.

It had been all an illusion which I trapped myself under. I naively rewired my mind into thinking that the change will be refreshing. But now I'm choking on my own immature belief.

And I blame myself for this whole ordeal. I blame myself for involving myself with the boys - mainly Tristan - and I also blame myself for allowing all of this to affect me the way it is.