1. A day to remember

I stared up at the celling of my bedroom.

Today was the day of my twelfth birthday. The day that would change my life forever. Why? That's because it would be the day where I would be setting out to see the world. The first day of my freedom.

On one's twelfth birthday, they would be considered grownup and would be able to leave their house to make a living of their own, to live their own life. I already knew what I wanted my job to be. I wanted to be a racer. What's a racer you ask? Well, only the coolest job ever! At least in my opinion.

A racer is basically supposed to complete in races with a spiritmal. Creatures that roam around our world. Most children have a dream of growing up to own a spiritmal of their own and become a battler or a racer, I am no different from the rest.

Although it sounds simple enough to become a racer, I actually have a very low chance of becoming one. This is because my family has no track history of anyone in the past ten generations owning a spiritmal, let alone being a racer. Thus, it would be difficult for me to be able to own a spiritmal. Let alone have one good enough to compete and stand a chance of winning a race.

Due to this, I'm guessing that I won't be becoming a racer after all. However, I could still hold on to the little hope that I had. Perhaps I would get myself a good job and save up enough to be able to buy a ticket into attending a race as a spectator. I have always watched races on television due to no one in my family having enough money to get tickets for those in real life. Even so, my entire family enjoys watching races as much as I do. If I ever get enough money to buy tickets for all of them I would gladly do so, it's something that we all enjoy.

"Hey Emily! Come on down for breakfast birthday girl!"

That's my mum calling me, I better get going. Running down the staircase, I burst into the dining room just downstairs.

As usual, I was greeted with the familiar sight of my family doing what they usually do every morning. My father was reading the newspaper while my older sister and my mother set the table and get breakfast ready. Usually, my younger brother would do the cooking but I guess my mother didn't want to mess up today's meal. Today, he was reading a cookbook instead.

My brother aims to start a restaurant one day that caters to both humans and spiritmals. I guess it suits him perfectly, seeing that he loves both cooking and spiritmals.

I felt felt a pang in my heart knowing that it would be a long time before I could see this sight again. My family members are close to me after all. I could always choose to stay like my sister. However, I wanted to follow my dream of finding a job I liked and making enough money to watch a spiritmal show in real life.

"There you are Emily! Happy twelfth birthday!" My father said, looking up from his newspaper as I sat down at the table. My older sister, Emma, smiled at me as she helped my mother serve the pancakes we were having for breakfast. My mouth watered, pancakes were my favorite.

"Thanks mum!"

"Anything for the birthday girl!" She smiled.

I poured some sweet syrup on my food and started stuffing the delicious fluffy pancakes into my mouth.

"Yum! Pancakes!" My brother, John, exclaimed. He immediately put aside his book and ran to have a seat at the table. "You have got to teach me how to make these!"

Emma chuckled. "Sure, I'll teach you later."

"That reminds me. Have you packed your bag yet?" My mother asked, watching me devour the pancakes in seconds.

I nodded. My mouth still full of my favorite food.

"God, my baby has grown up so fast!" My mother sighed, watching me eat.

"Mum!" I exclaimed, rolling my eyes. I felt my cheeks heat up Quickly finishing up my breakfast, I ran upstairs to grab my bag. I didn't want to waste any time in seeing the outside world!

Just as I was about to leave the house, I heard my father call me back.

"Wait up Emily! There's something we want to give you before you leave."

I stopped, looking behind me to find my family surrounding me.

"To you from all of us." My mother smiled as she handed me an envelope.

"What's this?" I opened it and rummaged through it's contents. Inside, I found two tickets. One for a train ride and another for...

I froze, looking at the second ticket. It couldn't be...

"Do you like it? I told dad and mum that that would be a perfect present for the most important birthday of your life." Emma smiled.

I stared at the ticket.

"Am... am I dreaming?" I asked. Looking at the ticket once more. "Where did you get the money for this?"

"Well, we have been saving for this special day." My father answered. "We've always known that you wanted to see a spiritmal race in real life. So we thought we would get you this."

"But... don't you want to watch it too?" I asked, still surprised that I would get this special gift.

"Well, we do. But we do not have enough money to get tickets for all of us. Since it is your twelfth birthday and we would like to get you something special, we decided to get a ticket for you. The race is tomorrow. You would only need a day to travel so you'll be on time. Especially with this." He said, pointing at the train ticket.

"Thanks guys! You always know what I want." I said, giving them a farewell hug. "See you guys soon!"

I gave my family one last look before closing the door and setting out on my first journey. My journey to see my first spiritmal race in real life.
------

Author's note:

So, here I am finally publishing a story that has been hidden in the draft session of Wattpad for months.

Was anyone actually looking forward to reading this?

Anyway, here are the first three chapters for your enjoyment. I may update this Friday but there's a chance that I won't due to me already posting three chapters this week.

We'll see though, I tend to do random updates, especially if I get hooked up on writing a particular story.