7. First f-light

The racers inch closer towards the finishing line. In the lead was a tri-color wolfabeast with a blue lionblitz not close behind...

Just then, the tri-color wolfabeast crossed the finishing line.

I watched as the rest of the spectators stood up alongside me and clapped for the winner of the race. Especially when he got a medal as a reward for his win.

As the rest of the spectators started to leave the scene, me and Star stayed behind for a while. After all, a spiritmal recovers fully from any injuries after an evolution, leaving us tons of time to admire the view of the race track, a wide expense of water in between the two rows of seats. It was beautiful, even though it didn't reflect the stars above. I watched the gentle ripples alongside Star before gazing up at the sky. Spotting the Phoenixight constellation in the sky.

"Look there Star!" I pointed at a cluster of constellations in the night sky.

"Starrr?"

"It's the constellation of the Phoenixight! A legendary spiritmal of the moon. Beside it is the the constellation of the Dawmorix." I pointed to the group of stars beside it. "It's the spiritmal of the sun. The two of them are said to be the reason the sun and moon rises everyday, looking after the seasons of the world."

"Starrrrr... Star." Another bright light engulfed Star.

Another evolution? I wondered before realizing what was really happening.

Star was changing into her true form for the first time.

I gasped as the light faded, leaving a gigantic bird in front of me. It's bright yellow feathers giving off a slight glow, illuminating the race track with its light.

"Whoa! This is cool! I had no idea that I could do this!"

I gasped once more, louder than my first. Shock striking me like a lightning bolt. Did Star just...

"Cool!"

Ok... this was insane. I had read many books about Spiritmals and none of them ever, I repeat, ever, mentioned about spiritmals being able to talk to their trainer, much less someone who doesn't know them. Well... that was with a few exceptions, but those were mostly legendaries.

In fact, I had even asked Tim if he could communicate with Fang, that he replied that he could do so with sign language. And here I am, hearing a Spiritmal speak to me in a way I had never thought possible.

"Hey Emily! I know that you cannot understand me but are you ok? You seem a little pale..."

I gulped. "Yes Star... I'm fine... I just didn't know that you can speak."

Star blinked. "Wait a minute..."

"Yea... I could actually understand you..." I continued.

"But that's..."

"Impossible." We said at the same time.

"Or maybe it's not..." I mumbled to myself.

"Umm... ok... want a ride?" Star quickly asked, trying her best to make things less awkward. She flaps a little, seeming surprised when her feet remained stuck to the ground.

"Have you even learned how to fly?" I lifted an eyebrow, causing Star to hesitate.

"Umm... I sort of assumed that I'll automatically learn it after evolution?"

I shook my head a little.

"What about this, let's practice your flying tomorrow. For now, you may want to change back to your disguise form."