4. The lonely spiritmal

"Hey! You don't have to treat the poor thing that way." I walked over to the trainer who was still harassing the poor spiritmal, giving him a hard glare.

Looking at me, he scoffed. Waving me aside. "What do you know about training spiritmals? I bet you've never even attended a race! Where's yours by the way? I'm sure it'll be real puny!"

"I...ummm..."

"Oh! I see it now. The poor little girl doesn't have one! Who are you to judge? When you don't even own one of your own?"

"I don't need to be a trainer to know that you shouldn't treat spiritmals that way!" I folded my arms, hoping that my glare was fierce enough. Especially since I wasn't feeling all that brave inside.

"Whatever. This one is pathetic anyway... it doesn't even seem to have the potential to beat a snail!" He pointed at the bird-like creature while he did so, making it lower it's head in shame. His lionblitz seemed to side with him as it mocked and scratched its victim.

"Why keep it then?" I raised an eyebrow. Staring back into his brown eyes.

"Well, it's because I've never seen a spiritmal like this one and I was hoping that it'll do well in races. It sucks though. I'll try it out in battles... maybe it'll be better with those. I've my doubts on that though. Perhaps I'll experiment on those before deciding on wether or not to keep it." He shrugged, making me even madder.

I watched as he ran out of the stadium with his spiritmals chasing after him. Staring at where he formally was, my anger subsided and I tried my best to calm down.

"What's up with that guy?" I muttered to myself, still thinking about that fascinating spiritmal. I had never seen any other like it. Something about it just intrigued me. Perhaps it had been it's bright feathers that seemed to have been dipped in star-shine. Or maybe it was it's eyes, the dark depths of them seemingly longing for a better life...

Emily! It's not even your spiritmal! Stop thinking about it! I shook my head, clearing my thoughts. Perhaps I should go and book a room at the hotel. After all, I didn't want to be caught up in the late afternoon queue!
———————

Dinner was good... I sighed contentedly, deciding to walk around the area after my meal of a small pizza. It was my favorite kind, pepperoni with extra cheese on top. To make things better, the pizza had been served piping hot, the cheese having been all melted and gooey...

I snapped back to reality as I heard a shriek of pain coming from my left. Looking in that direction, I was greeted with the sight of two trainers battling. One of them looked extremely familiar... his dark blue eyes gleaming in the sunshine. I tried remembering who he was. However, I just couldn't put a finger on it.

"Get up now or else!" He growled at his spiritmal. A little yellow bird...

A little yellow bird.

Realization dawned upon me as I remembered who he was and what he had said earlier. "I'll try it out in battles... maybe it'll be better with those. I've my doubts on that though. Perhaps I'll experiment on those before deciding on wether or not to keep it."

I gulped, hiding behind a nearby fountain as I watched the battle unfold in front of me.

The trainer I've met earlier didn't seem very pleased with the results that he was seeing. However, he still continued dishing out commands to his already exhausted spiritmal. Not showing it any mercy at all.

"Swift, Swift, Swift again, dodge, tackle, scratch, Swift."

Meanwhile, the other trainer was using a Darkrancruel. A dark, bug type that looked like a spider.