22. A mysterious connection

"Em? EM?!"

I gasped. So I wasn't hallucinating.

"Star? Is that really you?" I reached out with my mind, feeling the new presence growing stronger within.

"OMG it actually worked!" The voice replied.

"Star! How did you... Where are you..." I was full of questions. How in the world did Star start communicating via telepathy?

"Where am I? Well, obviously I'll be in a cage in Team Alchama's lair due to the fact that I've been repelling all their collar attempts. Besides that, I'm fine for the moment."

"That's nice to hear."

"Still, please come get me as soon as you can. I've a feeling that Team Alchama is up to no good. Wait a second, when are they up to any good? Anyways, just follow my presence, it should lead you to me." She continued the conversation.

"Fair enough. I'll come for you as soon as I could." I replied.

"Ok and Em?"

"Yea?"

"Don't worry too much, ok?"

"Ok."

"Good. Anyways, I've left you a gift. You can use it to find me." Star finished, before breaking the main connection and fading away to a small presence at the back of my mind.

Gift? What gift?

"Hey peasant, you zoned out again." Felix brought me back to reality. Topaz was on his lap now, I guess he got there while I was talking to Star.

"Zoning out is kind of my thing." I answered him quickly, wondering if it was Star's laughter I was hearing at the back of my mind.

"Why don't you tell him?" She asked, and I sworn that she would have tilted her head to one side if she were here.

"Fine, I will." I answered the bird, ending the conversation. I wondered if having Star in my head was such a good idea after all. If she read all of my embarrassing memories...

"Cool idea Em! I'll do just that!"

"I wasn't even talking to you!"

"I can read your thoughts Em!"

Great. Just great.

"Peasant?" I heard an annoyed voice. "You did it again."

"Oops, sorry. I was just talking to Star..."

"Star? How?"

"She managed to connect us via telepathy."

"Is Star the yellow bird?" Winter asked.

"Yep. That's the one." I answered the spiritmal.

"She's your slave right?" The wolfabeast asked curiously.

"Uh... she's more of a friend."

"A friend? What's that?" The wolfabeast questioned.

Do all Spiritmals have bad pasts?

"No they don't. Don't stereotype all of us Em!"

Right. Star could read my thoughts.

"A friend is like someone you can rely on. Someone who you could have fun with. Also, friends would comfort you when you're upset." I explained.

"So, basically it's another word for mother."

"Uh..." I was speechless, wondering how I should explain this simple, everyday topic to the wolfabeast.

"What's the wolfabeast asking about?" Felix caught on on our conversation.

"Um well... the difference between a mother and a friend."

That left him speechless as well.

"The difference is that a mother is a part of your family and a friend isn't." A deep, throaty voice sounded.

I looked in that direction and spotted Topaz still lazing on Felix's lap.

"I suppose you could hear me too Emily?" He asked, narrowing his eyes.

"Yep," I answered the lionblitz. "Do you get it now Winter?"

"I think so?" The winterwhite replied. "Once again, I'm sorry for..."

"It's not your fault." I interrupted her. "In fact, let's be friends."

"Really?"

"Yep." I hugged the wolfabeast, wanting to give her a bit of comfort.

"Wow. I'm jealous." Star said in a mocking voice.

"Don't worry Star, you'll always be my number one."

"Oh yea? I hope so." The Bird continued teasing.

Something stuck me there and then. The gift that Star was talking about... it was the gift to communicate with Spiritmals.

"Bingo! We've got a winner!"

"Thanks for the gift."

"Don't thank me too early. On another note, I didn't know that you had an imaginary friend."

"Wait a second, did you read my memories?"

"I'm bored and they're interesting!" She protested. "I didn't know that Tim was that dramatic."

"Star, please stop."

"Nuh uh. I'm bored!"

Great. It's the end of the world.

"Don't worry, we're not there yet Em."

Star...

"Hey peasant, you seem annoyed." Felix interrupted our conversation.

"Of course I am! Star's digging up every embarrassing memory I've ever had!"

He laughed.

"Cool. I hope Star'll tell me some of them after you rescue her." He mocked, seemingly getting ready for a nap.

I groaned. "Don't forget your medicine!"

He ignored me.

Jeez... why was life so difficult...

"I didn't do something wrong right? You seem angry." Winter's ears were flat against her face, her tail tucked between her legs.

"Hey it's fine." I calmed Winter down. "You're not the one who's annoying me. Why don't you take a little rest? I'll go get something for you to eat." I placed the wolfabeast on the floor, leaving the room to get something for both her and Topaz to eat.

I needed a breather before I officially burst from embarrassment.
—————————

Hello! Here's this week's short chapter.

Talking about updating, I may or may not update next week as I would be going on a holiday. That being said, I may also end up writing extra due to the long journeys on the road.

Well, we'll just have to see wether I've the time and motivation to update.

Till next time, stay peachy everyone!