Chapter 9: Fairy vs Fiend

(Key: Hard once per turn: You can only use this effect of "Insert card name here" once per turn)

"Don't you think you're taking this a bit too far?" Lucina asked, tilting her head as she watched Ama deeply analyze her own deck.

"Yes, it is necessary. I'm not going to be insulted by that emo looking dragon user," Ama told her friend, looking over her shoulder and back at Lucina who was sitting crossed legged on her bed.

"Okay, that I get, but your deck was already pretty good, what could you use to possibly make it better," Lucina asked.

"A more clear win condition," Ama responded, taking a card from her mountain of cards and replacing a card in her deck.

"Win condition?" Lucina asked.

"You don't understand since you just build a deck that looks good for you, and there's nothing wrong with that, but if you want to win then a few things need to be done," Ama began explaining.

"Really, like what?" Lucina asked, leaning forward to pay closer attention.

"The first thing I should explain is the aforementioned win condition. A win condition is either a card or group of cards that create a circumstance that allows the duelist to win, and you should, most of the time, work towards fulfilling that win condition," Ama described, making Lucine give an *ah* of understanding and nod her head.

"The second thing is consistency. A deck, most of the time, shouldn't run any cards that are useless to the deck's play style and win condition. Like let's say you are running a stall deck, then you should play cards like Messenger of Peace, Gravity Bind, and other flood gates, not a Dark Magician or Ravial, Lord of Phantasms," once again Lucina nodded.

"Third, is to have a back up plan just in case your win condition either fails or the conditions are broken. Let's say that my win condition is summoning Quintet Magician with Magicalize Fusion, but my opponent makes me get rid of all my copies of the card before I could use it, or they negate each activation, then I could fall back on my back up plan, which could be anything as long as it keeps consistency relatively well," Ama finished, then began scooping her deck back up.

"Okay. I think I understand," Lucina told Ama, "and it seems like you're done with your deck, so do you want to play test it against me?" Lucina asked.

Ama looked back at her friend for a while before sighing, and smiling slightly. "Sure, can't hurt can it?" Ama said, moving to the other side of the knee length table and sitting down cross legged.

"Cool, you don't mind if I go second, do you?" Lucina asked, scooting down from the bed and onto the carpet, then retrieving her deck box from her side.

"No problem. I actually prefer going first," Ama told her friend.

The two girls began shuffling their decks before a thought popped into Lucina's head. "I wonder what's going on with Shiki and Yuta?" Lucina asked.

"No clue, but hopefully they are doing something productive," Ama said.

"You have no room to speak. You're just sitting here playing a card game with me,"

"No i'm not. I'm practicing for the regionals," Ama said, a smile arriving on her face once again.

"Right, I forgot about that. I wonder if the others are joining,"

"Beats me, but if I were to guess then I'd say no. It isn't really their style,"

"I guess you're right. Anyway, cut or tap?" Lucina asked.

Ama tapped the top of Lucina's deck with her index finger, and Lucina did the same.

"Duel!" They both yelled.