sincerely • norman/emma

When Emma woke up, she couldn't feel her arms. Yet they felt very heavy. She awoke facing life, the morning rise behind her. Silence. Then the wind. Then the songs of a few robins. Several white wrappings hugged her frail body. Her arms, especially, were heavily covered.

She blinked. Her surroundings were unfamiliar. Unfortunately, everything else was. Her attention then comes to the rosewood door that squeaked open. A blonde woman in a white coat came in, along with a casually-dressed man with licorice black hair. Emma knew them somehow. She just doesn't remember much.

"We're glad you've finally awoken, Emma," the blonde (doctor) enunciated with soft sky eyes.

Emma blinked again. She opened her mouth to speak, but not even a sound came out. How can she even find the words to say in this situation? A pile of questions lay quiet in her head, waiting to come out.

"We know you must be confused right now," approached the black-haired man. She blinked at him. He let out a low chuckle. Emma was as confused as a newborn baby right now. She kept the clueless look for the next five minutes. Her innocent eyes traveled around the room, then it landed on the other two in the room. The blonde then came to remove all of Emma's bandages.

Emma's eyes grew, seeing that her arms are now replaced with hunks of metal in the shape of human arms. Its melting greyscale bore into Emma's vibrant green eyes.

"Emma, I do hope none of this is stressing you out." The woman (whose name is Anna) places a hand atop Emma's shoulder. "If you can't handle all of this new information around you, please tell us."

Emma nodded, still perplexed by her new arms. Her attention taken away once more by another man who entered the room. Whose presence was dressed sharply. A man whose hair was as white like no other. Like snow she's never seen, as pale as the new day. His eyes, sapphires that smiled.

"Ah. She's awake now, I see."

Emma's eyes couldn't have grown wider any more. For this man was very familiar. Emma had a strong connection to him. She can feel it.

»»----- ♡ -----««

Her eyes traveled with the town and the people. Lingering, they would be curious about everything. Not much has changed though. She's seen all of this before at some point. Emma just didn't know that the war was done.

The man known as Norman escorts Emma to their main destination. They took the trolley to the town center, and walked on down the peaceful streets. He wouldn't speak during their trip, for he too, couldn't find any words to say to her. Except...

"I'm sorry, Emma."

She stopped in her tracks, still unable to talk.

"I'm surprised you aren't crying about your arms, but I really am sorry for that. You...lost them because of me."

Norman threw apologies into Emma's metal hands. They were warm and melting. Like her voice, as she attempts to speak.

"No...it's okay."

A small breath of relief escapes Norman's lips. After that, he and Emma arrive at the mansion. Now this place, she knew all too well- in the back of her mind, that is. Norman tells her that this is where she grew up and lived with him and Ray- the man from this morning. For they were as close as family, although not blood related. Madam Isabella had adopted them a long time ago, and now she has passed on.

"I think...I'm starting to remember now."

Emma and Norman take a stroll down memory lane. It took their minds off of everything else, their problems flying away with the gust of wind that just passed by.

"Norman?"

"Yes, Emma?"

"What was I to you before I had a coma?"

Once again, Norman lost his words. "I...I can't say right now."

The sun finally went to sleep. However, Norman couldn't. Emma tried. They only found themselves unable to speak.

When the sun awoke again, Norman was nowhere to be seen. Don't worry, he's just at work. Speaking of, Emma needed one. Ray had already made arrangements for that, thankfully. Emma finds herself in Grace Field Postal Company, a small business that exists to send and write letters for those who cannot. Emma shall now work here as a receptionist.

"You will be arranging letters here, and you will also be helping your coworkers." Ray explains before he leaves.

Emma later meets the other workers; Don (also a receptionist), Hayato (the delivery boy), and a woman named Y/n who worked as an Auto Memories Doll.

»»----- ♡ -----««

Weeks had passed away. It was all too fast for Emma. Now, she too was on her way to being a Doll. On her daily stroll, she sees him again.

"Norman!" She called out, though not too loudly. He caught her voice in the wind. He lit up like today but then got nervous. He still doesn't know what to say. He did attempt to make small talk.

"I hear you're training to be a Doll."

"Yes. It's going well."

Since Emma's coma, she's been trying to remember. She does remember Norman, but not the moments they had made before. She, Norman, and Ray all fought in the war. They were lucky. Too lucky.

So, after walking home together, Norman stayed up all night for an idea. A few words to say. This happened the next day, Norman going up to Emma and inviting her to have a cup of coffee. Once more, the small talk.

"Emma, I know you've mostly forgotten everything. I know Ray has talked to you before. But I give this to you, in hopes that you'll remember again."

"Norman..."

"You know I'm not very good with expressing my feelings...or turning it into words."

And the letter said;

My Dearest Emma,

I love you.

Sincerely,
Norman

the end.

Cast:
Emma - postal services worker
Norman - government worker
Ray - unknown work
Y/n - Auto Memories Doll
Don - postal services worker
Gilda - Don's girlfriend, working at the local theatre with Nat
Nat - Working at the local theatre as a costume designer
Anna - local doctor
Thoma and Lani - apprentices of a professor

A/n: I know this isn't much...I don't understand it either