Chapter Twenty-Two ♡

oh wow THIS BOOK LIVES--!

Alex's POV

John's hands tightened into fists. "Why else?! Thanks to you and your hatred for Jefferson, (Y/N) got into an accident! She got hit by a f*ckin' car because of your words!"

My mind stopped. '...What?'

"W-What?"

I looked at John with wide eyes. He only kept glaring at me. "You heard me."

"H-How did- why- I-" I was fumbling over my words, unable to form a coherent thought or sentence.

"You know, you could've just kept to yourself! You could've let her talk, and kept yourself and your other life out of it!"

"Sweetheart, you know how he gets--" Herc started, but John cut him off.

"Oh, I know! And what have we always told him? If he didn't get his sh*t together, somethin' was goin' to happen one way or another. Now look where we are!"

John's fists started to go up, but he forced them back down. Even through all the anger, his narrowed hazel eyes were clouded and misty.

"John, babe--"

His eyes snapped up to mine again. "One, don't "babe" me right now. Two, don't tell me the usual "everything's going to be alright" either, because we know damn well it might not be! So don't even!"

I couldn't say anything, neither could Herc or Laf apparently. John turned towards the door, about to leave, but he stopped. He looked back at me, and I could see all the anxiety behind the frustration.

"One more thing, Alex. If she dies, consider me out of your life. I'll be back home later; don't follow me out."

With that, John walked away, exiting with quite a bit of force on the door.

Slowly, I looked towards Herc and Laf, still in a state of shock. "I- He.. She.. You guys aren't mad at me?" I finally formed a full sentence again.

They shook their heads.

"Non. It's... shocking, oui. Mais... she'll be fine, I'm sure," Laf responded.

"But.. will she?"

"She 'as to be... I don't know what we'll do if she isn't."

John's POV

I didn't know if I was more pissed off or anxious. My emotions were everywhere. All I knew was (Y/N) was in the hospital, on the fine line of life and death. I was already extremely worried, and just the severity of the impact and just seeing her so fragile...

Flashback -

"(Y/N)!" Amara's voice shattered the frozen state I was in.

Instantly, I took off again. "(Y-Y/N)!"

There was blood surrounding by her head and left arm, which already didn't look good.

I knelt down next to her. "Oh my G-God..."

Trying to block out all the commotion around us, tears were already slipping down my cheeks rapidly.

(Y/N)'s (E/C) eyes fluttered open slightly. "J...J-John..?"

"I-I'm here, chickadee.."

"I-It hu-hurts..." she muttered.

Grabbing her hand, I rubbed the top gently. "I know, chickadee, I know... You're gonna get help, I-I promise..."

"C-Can I.. Can I sl-sleep..?"

I shook my head, trying to blink back more tears. "Y-You have to stay awake, baby girl. You... You might not wake up if you do..."

"B-But..."

"I'm sorry, (Y/N)... You can't, baby girl, you can't.." I whispered.

"S-Stay wi-with me.. t-then.."

The sound of sirens started growing louder. I smiled weakly. "Of course, chickadee. Always.."

The next passing moments were blurry and too quick. Yet I couldn't push away any of the scenes; the words, the sounds, the thoughts.

I couldn't stop thinking. 'Was this Alex's fault?

If he hadn't spoke first...

if he had let her speak instead...

if he had kept his personal views out of the subject for one minute...

Would we be here?'

-

I decided to go back to my.. well... Alex and I's apartment. It's not like he'd be there for a while anyways.

The walk back was silent and quick. Upon getting in, I just barely managed to control myself in slamming the door. As soon as I had stepped away from the door, fresh tears started streaming down my face.

I went into my room, catching my torn reflection in the mirror. I growled, slamming my hands against the dresser. The sting from the contact didn't even faze me, and my arms only starting to shake. "G-Goddammit! Why?!"

Being so upset and angry with Alex was probably irrational, but I couldn't stop myself. If he had kept his mouth shut for just two seconds, (Y/N) wouldn't be in the hospital.

The only good thing that could happen would be (Y/N) pulling through. But, I couldn't even be sure how she was doing at this very moment. They could be about to call me right now. They could tell me she's dead. That she was gone; far away from us.

And that was the worst thought.