Chapter Twenty-Four ♡

~ one week later ~

John's POV

"Is she doing any better?" I heard Alex's voice ask.

"There's been some signs of improvement, but not much. It's just a waiting game," the doctor replied.

"Okay.. Thank you, Doctor Wilkins."

Alex came out of (Y/N)'s hospital, clearly looking defeated as he sat next to me.

"Nothing?" I spoke up after a moment.

He nodded. "Nothing. I'll just text Laf and Herc and tell them not to come. We should get out of here anyways."

I sighed, reluctantly standing up when Alex did too after a minute. I took one last look in the partially ajar door, seeing (Y/N)'s still figure for only a few seconds before Alex closed the door with a quiet 'click'.

He turned to me. "C'mon, John. We need to try and get our minds off of this. She'd want that."

Alex held out his hand, and I didn't say anything, only taking it after a moment. My boyfriend sent me a small, reassuring smile before we started silently and slowly down the empty hallway.

~

"Doctor Wilkins said she had two months tops if she didn't wake up before they'd pull life support, but... is it really goin' to take her that long to wake up..?"

"I don't know, mon amour. If she's telling us that, then who knows."

We were at Alex and I's again, sat in the main room. My mind was still racing, but I didn't want them knowing that.

"What if she doesn't wake up though? Then they pull the life support... then what? She's just... gone.." I responded.

"Don't think that way, John. It's only been a week. There's still time," Herc replied.

"I know... I just don't like how Doctor Wilkins told us that. I know she's tryin' to be helpful, but..." I sighed. "It hurts, guys.."

"It hurts all of us, sweetheart. But remember what Laf said: we'll get through it together," Herc spoke.

~ that night ~

I was doing some last minute things on my laptop in my room (or technically Alex and I's at the moment). Laf and Herc were asleep in their's (or Alex's usual room).

Alex was already asleep for once. He'd been falling asleep somewhat earlier since the accident, but working twice as hard.

About to close my laptop, I turned when there was mumbling. Alex was curled up, mumbling incoherent things in his sleep.

I chuckled quietly to myself, closing my laptop. However, upon getting into bed, it appeared to be that Alex wasn't having a normal dream after all.

It started out subtle, but Alex started mumbling things louder, and eventually I could pick out little things, the most prominent being "gone". That could've been a lot of things knowing Alex's past, but I had an idea.

I placed my hand on Alex's arm. "Alex, wake up.."

Alex's hands simply closed into tight fists, continuing to mutter incoherently. I shook him lightly. "Alex, babe. Please get up."

For a minute he stopped, and I wondered if he woke up. But suddenly he was shaking and his hands were in even tighter fists. "N-No..!"

I shook him a little harder. "Alex!"

Alex subconsciously retracted back. "No!"

I tried one last time, shaking him again. "Alexander!"

My boyfriend finally shot up, looking at me with wide eyes.

"Are you okay, babe?" I asked worriedly.

"I.." Alex paused. "Jesus Christ... I think so.."

"What was the nightmare? Is it the hurricane?"

He shook his head. "No.."

I hesitated. "(Y/N)?"

Alex nodded after a moment. "W-We were in the hospital room. I don't know when it was but... she just.. flat-lined. She was gone."

"So that's why I heard you mutter 'gone'," I mumbled.

"What was I even doing?" Alex asked after a moment had passed.

"You were mostly mumbling incoherent sh*t. Then, I made out some words, before you started shaking and saying 'no' over and over. I decided to wake you up before anything else happened."

He sighed. "Thanks, love."

I simply nodded in acknowledgement, Alex laying back down. I noticed he had somehow quickly fell back asleep after some long moments, and I eventually laid back down.

While trying to get myself to fall asleep, my brain seemed to be stuck on Alex's nightmare. I swore I heard a noise in the back of my mind, identifying it as a beeping sound. The sound of the hospital monitor.

Trying to push the sound away, I eventually fell asleep as well.

~

Beep.. beep... beep..

Beep... beep..

Beep...

Beeeeep.