Chapter Forty ♡

~ the next morning ~

John's POV

"Did you really say that to them?" Alex asked.

I nodded. "What choice did I have? That was the only way to get their heads outta their *sses. If they tell her everythin' themselves, then we can finally put this sh*t behind us. It's gone on for far too long."

It was the following late morning. I hadn't gone to see (Y/N) yet, giving Herc and Laf the whole day to go speak to her alone. I'd visit her tonight, and if she told me they didn't explain anything, then I'd tell her myself.

"I just- I don't understand," Alex commented after a moment. "Does Herc really feel that strongly? Does he feel that out of place?"

"To hell if I know," I sighed, shrugging and sitting next to him on the couch. "As far as I'm concerned, things have been fairly equal this whole time. They had the chance to run after her that night, but they just stood there. It's not my fault they just stood there."

"I think they regret it. That's why they're taking it out on you," Alex suggested. "Not that they should," he added quickly. "'Cause that's wrong."

"I think what really irked them was when I mentioned the promise - they never knew I said it. No one did until now, except for (Y/N)," I responded. "But that was when we were friends, so..."

"Not to play devil's advocate, but that is kinda an important detail, love," Alex noted. "You promised her you'd protect her and she wasn't even part of the relationship yet. Look at it from their perspective."

"Yeah, I guess..." I replied slowly. "But at the start of our relationship, we promised to have each other's backs, remember? We said early on we'd protect each other, so they should've known I'd said the same for them already."

"Valid." Alex paused a moment. "Speaking of... what happened to you? Your cheek is bruised."

Right...

"Well..." I debated on lying to him. But Alex was way too smart. "Funny you should mention that.."

My boyfriend already seemed to be putting pieces together. "Babe, what happened while you were at Laf and Herc's?"

I sighed. "Herc was mad that I entered their apartment without permission - which is just ridiculous..." I mumbled under my breath. "I told him I was sick of this sh*t and asked him if he wanted to still be in one whole relationship when (Y/N) woke up, and he just... slapped me as hard as he could."

Alex's eyes widened, cupping my non-bruised cheek to seemingly inspect the damage better. "Herc seriously did this? He's the one who first brought up the promise of never laying a hand on each other!"

"Yeah, I know." I laughed bitterly, subconsciously leaning into his touch. "You shoulda seen his expression, babe; hardly fazed. He was prob'ly just too angry to realize it but... that being said..."

"What about Laf? Did he say anything?" Alex questioned.

"No," I answered. "I couldn't read his expression honestly. He seemed kinda shocked but it was just too hard to see.

I told Herc though if they confessed everything to (Y/N), she wouldn't find out he did it; I'd just make up some excuse."

Alex shook his head immediately, his hand falling back into his lap. "You can't do that, love; you can't hide something like that from her. Herc breaking that promise shouldn't be kept a secret. She deserves to know."

"And then what? I don't know how she'd take it, Lexi; I don't want her getting mad at Herc when there's finally a chance of fixing this sh*t," I responded, running my hand down my face.

"John, Herc hit you for Christ's sake," he defended. "If I'd been the one hit, I'd tell her. So you should too."

I sighed. "Fine. If Herc doesn't tell her, I'll tell her tonight."

~ a few hours later ~

Herc's POV  (oooOOOO-)

"I honestly thought I woulda saw you guys yesterday. John said he sent you guys messages," (Y/N) told Laf and I. Well, that was a lie.

We'd sure enough decided to finally visit (Y/N), believing John when he said she was awake. He certainly wouldn't have joked about that. His words kept replaying in my head, but even then, I still wasn't sure if I wanted to tell her what happened.

"He did. My shop has just been crazy busy lately, sweetheart, I'm sorry," I responded.

"Oui. I 'ave been trying to 'elp 'im as well," Laf added. "We are relieved to finally see you awake though, mon fleur."

"Yeah. It's been rough." I laughed a bit. "I've missed having you model dresses for me."

"Well, once I'm outta here..." (Y/N) giggled quietly. "Whenever that is, at least.."

"Has your doctor said anything yet?" I asked curiously.

"No. Prob'ly 'cause everything is still really sore," she sighed. "My guess is a couple weeks but it's anyone's guess, honestly."

"'opefully soon," Laf responded. "You seem to be on the right track, fleur."

"Yeah..." (Y/N) shrugged slightly. "I'm kinda curious though... what did you guys do while I was... out? It was for over a month, so..."

Barely even talked to each other because we got into a fight.

"Just anything to distract ourselves, really," I answered after a moment. "There was a lot of working."

"You guys better not have overdone yourselves." (Y/N) sent us a look. "You know how Lexi gets when he's upset, John too; you gotta be there for each other."

Didn't exactly happen. In fact, quite the opposite.

"We were, don't worry," I promised quickly. "They visited you quite a bit; it was their way of coping."

"Yeah, John told me," (Y/N) responded. "Something just seemed... off about him, though. I don't know what. He hasn't said anything, though."

I nearly froze, Laf doing the same. This could be the perfect segue; all we had to do was speak up. But...

"It's prob'ly just from the stress, sweetheart; you know how he gets," I reminded. "Now that you're finally awake it's just.. a lot to take in."

"Right, right. I'm sure he'll come around. You're right."

"Of course I am," I responded with a grin, making her laugh. "You dork. Whatever you say, Bear."

zlkjsfkl sorry for the late update i didn't exactly know what to do for this chapter-

do herc and laf still end up telling her? find out next chapter oop s o r r y y'all. hope you liked this tho and i'll cya in the nExT oNE

~ Galaxy