Chapter Thirty-One ♡

~ the next morning ~

Your POV

The first thing I felt when I woke up was how stiff my arm was. But trying to move it made me wince, cursing under my breath.

"Be careful, chickadee."

I looked up to see John in the doorway, walking over.

"Good morning to you too," I responded, making him chuckle. "They decided on you, huh?"

"Yeah. Herc was nervous he'd accidentally hurt you, Alex was already out of the apartment when I got up, and Laf just let me go and said he'd probably come by next time," John answered, sitting on the edge of the bed.

"I'm not surprised about any of that, particularly Alex," I replied, pushing myself up with my good arm.

"I know. As relieved as he is, he's eager to go back to work." John grabbed my sling off the bedside table, moving so he was sat opposite me on the bed.

"I'm sure. But y'know, I have to get dressed before you can help me with that," I motioned to the sling.

"Right.. do you.. need help?"

I looked at him, expecting to see his usual teasing expression at that kinda question, but was only met with genuine curiosity. Even so, my cheeks tinted a bit. "I... I might.."

"If you're uncomfortable with it, you can always face away from me or I can close my eyes." Leave it to John Laurens, a usually cocky charmer, to also be one of the most respectful guys I knew.

So that's what happened. After a mildly awkward (but surprisingly okay for the most part) few minutes, I was into my clothes and sat back on the bed as John carefully helped me with the sling.

It was a bit tedious, and another bit of wincing, but the sling was eventually on as John pulled back slightly, but not before pressing a kiss to my cheek.

"Thanks, bub," I spoke, sliding off the bed.

John chuckled. "Of course, chickadee."

I managed to brush through my hair, looking in the mirror to see John getting off the bed behind me once I was done.

I turned to him. "What now?"

"I think breakfast is pretty important," John answered teasingly.

I rolled my eyes, smiling regardless. "Yeah, yeah. Let's go take care of that."

~

It was finally a day where all five of us were all together. We were at Alex and John's apartment, watching Avengers - for what felt like the hundredth time - after John and Herc's requesting.

I was sat between Laf and Herc, leaning against Herc. John was sat on the floor in between Herc and I, commenting on the fighting scenes and moves, and Alex was sat in the chair diagonal from us, half-focused on the movie as he typed on his laptop.

"Hey, baby, it's your favorite scene," I snickered to John as Hulk and Thor appeared on screen.

It was a moment on-screen before Hulk punched Thor way off camera, John snorting. "Every f*ckin' time.."

"Personally, I think the scene with 'ulk and Loki is the best," Laf spoke after a moment.

"Steve's trick off of the bus was by far the coolest," I responded, "y'all like the fights too much."

"I agree with (Y/N)," Alex added, looking up from his laptop, "the stunts are pretty awesome."

"What about you, babe?" John asked, turning his head to look at Herc.

Herc shrugged. "I don't think I have a favorite scene. It's all pretty great."

"That's a pretty good answer," I responded, moving closer to him.

Herc chuckled, wrapping his arm around my shoulder and effectively keeping me against him. "I try to have only good answers, sweetheart."

We continued watching the movie in - mostly - silence, with the occasional exception of John commenting on the action or Alex talking about a small detail he noticed.

At one point, Alex's phone started buzzing. Mumbling an apology, he shut his laptop, getting up and putting his phone to his ear as he walked away. "Hello?"

Alex's voice faded down the hall and I heard the faint click of a door close. I turned back to the TV, watching as Stark started flying up to the weird-*ss alien portal with the rocket.

He came back a bit later, not sitting down but picking up his laptop.

John turned to him. "Where're you goin', Lex?"

"Washington called. Guess he needs me and Jeffersh*t for something," Alex answered.

"Can't you stay?" John asked sadly.

Alex looked torn.

"C'mon, Lexi," I pleaded after a moment. "It's been ages since we've all been together."

He sighed, and I hoped that was him giving in. But it wasn't. "I'm sorry, loves. It's important business."

"Alexxx.." John muttered.

"I'm sorry, Jacky. We'll all have another time," Alex responded.

While Alex and John were talking, I swore I heard beeping. But not just any beeping. Monitor beeping... But it seemed so distant and far away.

It was almost like the lead-up to the dream I had. Yet I was wide awake right now. 'The hospital made me crazy or some sh*t...'

I tried to ignore it, the sound eventually fading away completely shortly after Alex said his goodbye and left.

Once Avengers was over, we decided to have dinner. We'd start another movie afterwards.

Even though Alex had left, things resumed as normal, which was nice. Even with an injured arm, things were already looking up.

"I'm sorry,..."