4. Saturday/ Wishing it was Sunday-day

Mattan's hand grips mine tightly as he tries to win a game of thumb war. He's not going to. I'm about to trap Mattan's thumb with mine when he pokes me in the side causing me to squeal.

'No fair,' I shriek.

'Kit, behave!' Daa hisses.

Several neighbouring people turn and scowl at me. I dip my head in embarrassment and scowl at Mattan, who slings his arm around my shoulders. 'My fault, Daa. Sorry.'

Daa and Dab share a look. It's the same look they share every time me and Mattan back each other. Mattan will never let me take the blame, even if I'm the guilty one, and I'll never let him take the blame, even if he's at fault. Years of it being just the two of us means when either of us is accused of anything we both take the blame and the punishment, no matter what. That doesn't mean we don't argue. We do. A lot.

'Let's all pay attention and listen,' Dab says gently, turning his head back towards the front.

I'm huddled next to my parents and brother in the crowd. Except, I don't think it can be called a crowd when everyone has this much space between them. Pockets of people are scattered among the large area in front of the canteen. The non-contact rules mean each family is gathered in a compacted group with a radius of approximately two metres between them and the next family.

People shuffle apprehensively, waiting for one of the Council Leaders to tell us why we've been gathered. We don't often have meetings where the entire settlement is asked to attend. Large gatherings increase the risk of physical contact, which no one wants.

Jeremiah, one of the seven council leaders, is making several announcements. His sagging face makes him look permanently annoyed. The last time Jeremiah held a meeting was earlier in the year when he informed us Drifters had kidnapped two fifteen-year-old Techie children.

I focus on his dreary monotone voice, '...our neighbouring settlement has provided us with more clothing, mattresses and wool as requested. They arrived yesterday, and once the twelve-week waiting period has been completed you will be able to collect them. Speak to the Council Leaders if you would like to put your name down for any of the items, but remember supplies are distributed to those most in need...'

Mattan tilts his head down to mine and whispers in my ear, 'I'm falling asleep. His voice could be used as a natural sedative. I'm surprised his wife hasn't died of boredom being stuck with him as her only company for the last nineteen years.'

I laugh. 'You're so mean.'

'You're the one laughing so you're just as bad, if not worst. You're encouraging me.' Mattan grins, tugging my ponytail hard. Stifling a squeal, I elbow him in the ribs which he growls at. Dab and Daa swivel round to glare at us, along with several other residents including Axel's parents. Axel is staring as well but he's not frowning, he gives me a quick sympathetic smile and I grimace in return.

'Sorry,' Me and Mattan say simultaneously.

'Stop messing around,' Dab orders.

Jeremiah says the word school, and I perk up suddenly interested in listening to his dull voice which has been continuing on in the background, '...the broken pipe has now been fixed so school will resume on Monday as normal.'

I breathe a sigh of relief. The week has dragged. No school has meant I've been imprisoned in this settlement. The council leaders speedily allocated us extra duties once they were informed school was closed which means I've spent the last five days pulling out weeds from the fields.

It's been the most boring five days of my life.

Every day, nighttime never arrived fast enough. I was always desperate for the next sunrise because it meant I was slowly ebbing towards tomorrow.