30. Sometime in the night

A sharp pinch against my neck wakes me. I imagine the sensation is similar to an insect sting, but I have no real experience to compare it against. I have never encountered any insects in my lifetime.

Every insect died nearly two decades ago.

My skin is stinging, an odd sensation flowing through my neck. I move my hand upwards, and my fingers brush rough material which is not a part of the bed or me. I stiffen in fear. Opening my mouth to scream, the noise is muffled by a gloved hand. The pressure increases against my lips to stifle any sound, but that doesn't prevent me from continuing to scream while I claw desperately at the gloved hand in a bid to remove it off my mouth.

I don't want their touch.

Multiple shadows move, low indistinct voices float around me. I try to get up and run. I can't due to my body being held down. I fight against the weight as a wave of panic and nausea washes over me. My limbs strain however my muscles start to become heavy and it gets harder to move. The voices start to merge into the dark shapes surrounding me. Sight and sound become one causing my head to spin.

I'm going to vomit.

Disorientated, I close my eyes but nothing changes; are they open or closed? I don't know. My senses are blurred. I attempt to bite the hand covering my mouth even though the thought repulses me. Right now, I will do anything to rid myself of the pressure and contact. My mouth won't cooperate. In fact, my entire body won't. Even my mind is sluggish. I'm unable to focus.

I'm falling, a heavy weight is rapidly dragging me down into the murky abyss.