25. Wednesday continued...

Leaving school, Suki is talking about her latest crochet work and I'm reminded of my conversation with Zach on top of the mountain/hill watching the world which brings a sad smile to my lips.

We'll never experience a freedom like that again.

My parents won't let me go back to the woods, and I can't spend time with him at school. I saw him at break today. He winked and I forced a smile, but all I could think about was the offer Louisa made me this morning. Watching the Techie's interactions, I realised I wouldn't be comfortable acting like them. I'd never be comfortable with all the groping, rubbing and touching and that's just between friends.

Doing it with Zach however...

I shake my head and ignore the hot sensation unfurling inside me, radiating outwards.

'Kit.'

I stop, so do the others and we all turn our heads at the unfamiliar interruption on our journey home from school. I almost laugh at the synchronicity. It's a bit creepy when we all move as one. We're so physically separated we've somehow mastered an advanced form of mental connectivity allowing us to respond in unison.

Zach approaches casually, his face set in his usual expression of permanent amusement. He really knows how to pull off a smirk.

'Zach?' I stammer and everyone directs their gaze towards me.

'I'd like to walk with you to your settlement, if that's cool?' Zach's hands are in his pocket, a playful glint in his eye. He's loving the awkwardness. I'm sure of it.

'Cool,' I repeat, struggling to form an actual sentence. It sounds like I'm asking a question rather than agreeing. I add, 'Yes... cool... that would be cool.'

Zach stifles a chuckle. Suki looks stunned as she murmurs something in Seb's direction. The two of them turn and continue their journey home. Axel glares between me and Zach before stomping off in pursuit of Suki and Seb. Brielle looks confused until Axel bellows her name and she scuttles after him.

Poor Brielle.

I don't move. I'm not sure whether I'm angry or happy at him making our friendship public. This is not a friendship. Not a Naturalist friendship anyway, not after what happened yesterday. Then again, maybe that is normal for Techies. The thought makes me uncomfortable.

'Your friends are incredibly welcoming,' Zach mocks, stepping towards me.

I smile in spite of myself. 'What are you doing, Zach?'

'I thought, if you're not going to be allowed out to the woods anymore then we should find another way to spend some time together, so here I am.' Zach opens his arms wide. 'All yours.'

Are you all mine?

I nod. Walking home is innocent enough. I'm not breaking any official rules. Except, the things we've done without witnesses go against the most fundamental rules of my settlement.

'You're looking as gorgeous as ever. However, I think I preferred your outfit on Monday.' Zach beams.

'Let's hope you have a good memory because you won't be seeing me like that again.' My cheeks heat and a shiver runs through my body as I remember his fingers against my skin. I clench my hands around the wooden crutches in an attempt to get a grip of reality.

It doesn't work.

'Don't worry, I won't be forgetting anytime soon,' Zach says softly.

Our eyes connect and an ache starts to build deep inside me. It's unlike anything I've ever felt. I'm overwhelmed with the urge to do things I am not allowed to do. Not unless I want to be exiled.