44. Day Forty Nine

'Some days I can't get out of my head
That's just the dark side of me
Some nights, it's hard for me to fall asleep
That's just the dark side of me...
Some days I close my eyes and fade away (and I fade away)
That's just the dark side of me
Some nights all the colors turn to gray
Just like the dark side of me...'
(Darkside, Future & Ty Dolla $ign & Kiiara)

Ben walks in front of me and three people in lab coats follow behind as I'm escorted out my room.

Their presence has completely messed up my escape plan.

Note to self, a good escape plan needs to be based on more than just the idea of running when the door opens.

The grey hallway is dim but I can still make out the outlines of doors. How many of them lead to people being held against their will?

At the end of the hallway, the wall slides to the sides and we step inside a box. Ben presses a button with the letter B. My stomach lurches as I watch a light move from the number 6 downwards, a visual count down to who knows what or where.

The wall of the box opens, and I squint against the glare. I'm back in the bright violent white light.

I can't go through it again.

Everyone moves forward. I remain paralysed to the spot. I stare at Ben's moving mouth but his words are drowned out by the blood rushing through my ears and my rapidly pounding heart.

The white-coated assistants move towards me with their outstretched hands causing the sound of my surroundings to come crashing down. Their footsteps slap against the hard floor. Their voices are too loud. Above it all, I hear my voice, shrieking uncontrollably.

'No. No. No. Don't touch me. No.No...'

Hands seize my arms preventing me from running. Flinging my limbs out with us much force as possible, I try to rid myself of their unwanted touch. More people rush to restrain me while Ben retreats with a look of horror as I'm forced to the floor.

Do something, Ben. Help me! Don't let them do this.

I recognise the sharp pinch in my leg, and I know what is going to happen. I don't care. I continue to fight back with everything I have. My elbow connects with fleshy lumps, my nails scratch down skin and material while my feet jerk out crazily.

The weight of people on top of me pushes the air out of my body. I'm struggling to breathe. This is how I will die, my lungs collapsing under a pile of humans. My vision fogs and darkness starts to take over.

I'd read in books a vision of white light would greet you as you say goodbye to life. My doubts were correct, only a dark empty void welcomes you to death.