38. Unknown

My lips are dry and cracked. My mouth hurts, and my tongue is rough and swollen. Desperate for water, I stretch my hand out to find the cup always waiting for me on the bedside table. I don't find it. Instead, my skin brushes against soft material, lots of soft material.

Either the bed is bigger or I've gotten smaller.

Through my closed eyelids I can tell the light is different, it's not fake and bright, this is natural and real. Squinting, I peer around the room which is bathed in a soft glow from the morning sunlight streaming through a wall of glass on one side of the room.

Drawn to the prospect of seeing the outside world, I swing my legs over the edge of the bed and place them on the floor. The stiff bandage around my ankle has gone and it doesn't hurt when I stand.

That's weird, my ankle has healed already.

Ignoring the black spots flickering across my vision, I stagger forwards. My legs buckle, but I manage to reach the window before slumping against the cool smooth glass and sinking to the floor.

I'm higher than I've ever been before, I'm almost in the sky, and the entire world is laid out in front of me. I press my hands against the only barrier separating me from my freedom and memorise the scene in front of me.

On the left is the road connecting the school to the two settlements. On either side of the road lays the woods I visited, first with Suki and then with Zach. The mass of trees blocks my view of most of the Naturalist cabins, but I can see the fields; shades of greens, browns and beiges fill square patches. I spot the lake tucked against the wall then follow the line of the wall encircling our two settlements until I see the opening where Zach set the alarm off.

It's huge.

I'd never fully understood the expanse of land the fields covered, let alone the size of the woods and lake. Beyond the wall in the distance are the sharp jagged structures me and Zach visited, their dark shapes cut across the pale sky.

Why did Ben chose this view? Is this his new way of tormenting me?

The view is beautiful and breathtaking which only deepens the stab of sadness. Every part of the landscape laid out in front of me is a reminder of what I've lost and may never get back.

Unable to look away, the longing pushes against my chest causing me to gasp for air. Resting my forehead on the glass, I sob loudly as I soak in the image, imprinting it into my memory because I don't know how long I've got till they take it away again.

'Kit, what's wrong?' Ben's voice jolts me awake.

I open my puffy eyes to see him rushing towards me. Kneeling down in front of me, his hands reach out and I recoil backwards. He halts, lowering his arms, he rocks back on his heels, and I notice his jaw is clenched.

'Why did you choose this room?' I croak, wiping my stinging eyes and nose.

'It's the best view. If you really don't like it I can find another.' Ben shrugs, and I almost want to laugh. There was me thinking he somehow knew how it represented every significant occurrence in my life, but he simply appreciates the beautiful scenery.

'I like it.' I stare out at the fields and wonder if the small dots moving slowing around can see me.

Could I send my family a signal, to let them know I'm alive and I've been captured? But what could they do?

I was exiled. I'm not one of them anymore. Even if they knew of my whereabouts, would they do anything? My parents would. Mattan would. However, I don't want them to be exiled too.