49. Scared of what lies ahead

Zach guides me down staircases and along hallways. All of them are airless and cramped.

I step closer to Zach, to distance myself from the weary-looking people we pass, who seem unfazed when they brush past each other. A few of them chuckle or grin at my outfit, however, most seem oblivious to me. I guess as a girl wearing only a jumper, with her bare legs and feet on display, is normal Techie behaviour.

Techies have a strange sense of normal.

The odd person calls out to Zach and he greets them casually, ignoring their conspiratorial winks.

Turns out the winking eye spasms are a common problem among Techies.

Normally, I'd be cringing with embarrassment because I know what his friends must be assuming. Turns out, the fear of being captured is great for a 'not giving a damn about what people think' attitude. I'm too focused on escaping.

We stop outside a door with a small sign which reads male toilets.

I frown. 'Why have we st-'

Zach swivels around and presses his lips against mine. I melt into him as he kisses me and his hands wrap around my waist.

Now is not the time-

He opens his mouth and without thinking my lips part, allowing him to deepen the kiss.

My body seems to think this is the time.

Zach steers me through the doors into the male toilets. They smell of mint mixed with a hint of urine and something else, a sharp and unnatural scent which reminds me of the shiny white room and the grey hallway. Panic starts to knot my stomach, and I force myself to focus on Zach's lips. I inhale his scent which makes me heady and overrides the harsh smell of our surroundings.

We stumble into a cubicle and I hear a laugh, a wolf whistle and someone comment, 'someone doesn't want the night to end.'

My cheeks burn. Turns out, I do still give a damn about what people think.

The cubicle door closes behind us and I push him away hissing, 'what are you playing at?'

Zach looks apologetic for a total of one second before his smirk appears. 'How else was I going to get you into the male toilets without raising suspicion?' He points behind me to a small window. 'This is our escape route.'

I laugh. This was his escape route out of the Techie settlement? Squeezing through a small toilet window every Sunday.

He must have been as desperate to escape his life as I was to escape mine.

Zach looks at his watch. 'Rubel will meet us here. If he doesn't come in twenty minutes, we'll head out.'

I nod my head in agreement and glance out the window into the dark night. How long do I have until sunrise? It's easier to hide in the dark. It's also easier to get lost.

Doubt starts to seep into my mind, slowly overriding the hope and relief I'd first experienced when I saw Zach. Wrapping my arms around my chest, I lean against the cubicle wall. Inhaling and exhaling slowly, I steady my breathing and try to cling on to some trace of hope.

I will get out of here safely. I will survive out there.

'Kit, what's going on? Why are you here?' Zach asks as he watches me carefully

My arms tighten around me. I want to answer his question but I'm worried once I start I won't be able to control my emotions. I have to keep control. Especially when there's still a chance it's not over.