39. Unknown

I've circled this entire room and the small bathroom containing a sink, shower and toilet. I've pressed every button. I've searched every cupboard, desperately looking for a way to escape.

I've found nothing.

The space has been set up for my imprisonment. There's no way to get out, no tools to aid my escape. That doesn't stop me from thinking up various plans to breakout.

None are possible.

Exiting through the window equals certain death, even if I could somehow break the thick tough glass. Tying up Ben and escaping out of door is impossible as I have no rope or equivalent. Stabbing Ben with cutlery would be satisfying, but the one spoon I've been provided is useless.

Returning to the window, I watch the outside world: slow, still and uneventful. It's fascinating compared to the blank shiny white walls I've gotten used too.

Anything would be more interesting than those shiny white walls.

Shadows darken and elongate as the sunsets. I watch the day slowly fade into night, the fields and woods disappearing along with the rest of the world into the darkness. A small crescent moon in the sky provides the only light, a faint glow against the deep blue abyss.

I sigh loudly. I'm already missing the view. I want it to be a new day so I can watch the world again. I prod my spoon into my cold unappetising dinner. The exploded contents of my breakfast still cover the insides of the microwave so I didn't try to heat this meal. I don't want to risk losing another one to the microwave.

The door opens and Ben enters the room, dragging in a large machine. The gap behind him remains, and I see my chance to run, my body gets ready to take flight.

This is my chance to escape. 

I hesitate. Would I be able to find my way out of this building? How far would my pathetic body take me before collapsing? The door closes, blocking my only exit. I sink back against the glass. Next time, I won't think. I will run no matter what.

'Have you moved at all since I last left you?' Ben says.

'Yes.' I scowl, shovelling the last of the cold vegetable mush into my mouth.

Techie food really is as bland as Naturalist food which is strangely comforting. It reminds me of home.

'I've brought you a treadmill to walk on.' He drags the treadmill into the middle of the room then walks over and sits next to me on the floor.

Did I ask you to join me?

I shuffle away from him. The more distance we have between us, the better.

Ben's eyebrows pinch together, but he remains where he is. He takes the rucksack off his back, pulls out a screen and places it on the floor in front of me. 'I also got you a device you can play music on.'

I pick the screen up and turn it round in my hands. It's bigger than the one Zach gave me and heavier. I stare at it, remembering the first time I heard a song, and a lump forms in my throat while my stomach knots.

Ben assumes my hesitation is due to a lack of knowledge. He starts to show me how to work it. I don't correct him or inform him, I already know how to use it. The less he thinks I know, the better. Maybe, he'll talk more and accidentally reveal a way of escaping from here. Ben presses the screen, showing me how to search for songs. I have access to all the music Zach does.

Is Zach listening to music now? Is he doing it with another girl? Has he already forgotten about me?

'How do I hear it?' I croak while turning the screen in my hand, searching for headphones to place in my ears.