24. Wednesday/ Desperate to see Zach-day

Mattan watches me practising on the crutches he's made. They should have been stored in the supply cabin for twelve weeks before I'm allowed to use them. Mattan handed them over to me this morning and said if anyone asked to tell them I made them myself.

I hobble up and down in front of my porch as he stands with his arms crossed and eyes searching me intently. He's quieter than usual. Can he sense that me and Zach touched?

'Are they ok?' He says, stepping closer.

They're solid and made by my brother. 'They're perfect.'

'You sure you're ready to go back to school? You can take more than two days off. If I was you I'd take full advantage of not having to go to school or do any chores.'

'I bet you would, but I can't stand the four walls of my bedroom or the cabin anymore and I want to see my friends.'

'Would one of these friends be your Techie by any chance?' Mattan asks, watching for my reaction.

I stare at the floor, digging the end of the crutch into the wet soft earth. The rain finally stopped this morning but it's left the entire settlement muddy and waterlogged. 'I better go. I don't want to be late.'

'I'll walk you to the road.' Mattan says.

Hobbling towards the dirt road, I glance at Mattan who is frowning. I look ahead and take a deep breath before saying, 'you're acting weird. What's going on?'

'Daa and Dab are worried. They asked me to talk to you and feedback to them.'

'And what are you going to tell them?'

'Nothing, but they know you didn't fall out a tree. They know something is going on with you but they have no clue what it is.' Mattan sighs. 'I don't expect you to tell me any details but you need to be careful. Don't let anyone see you do anything you're not supposed to be doing. Ok?'

'Ok." I inhale deeply, gathering enough courage to ask him a question which won't leave my head. "Mattan, did you ever worry about... transmitting pathogens? There's a reason we live like this,' I stammer, embarrassed by what I want to ask. Heat creeps up my neck and face. 'Were you not scared when you... kissed her?'

'That wasn't on my mind at the time.' Mattan stifles a grin. 'Anyway, there haven't been any cases of Virulence for years. So unless you think a cold is life-threatening, I wouldn't worry.'

'How can you be so relaxed about it?'

'The rules were made to protect people from what was happening at the time but things have changed, so shouldn't we?' Mattan lowers his head and his voice drops, 'I don't want my child's upbringing to be restricted like ours. I want you to be allowed to come inside my house, for you to play with your niece or nephew. I want to eliminate the invisible barrier which has been forced between us.'

'I have to admit, I miss not being able to punch you every time you irritate me which is surprisingly still a lot considering you don't live with me anymore.' I smile.

Mattan chuckles.

I continue to hop along with my crutches slowly. Very slowly. 'When are you going to announce the pregnancy?'

'Not yet. Mara's worried people will talk if we do it too early.'

'It's a bit late to worry about that. The gossip will start pretty quickly once it arrives early.' I stop momentarily, rubbing my sore hands together. Crutches are hard work.

'Sometimes babies arrive early.' Mattan shrugs. 'Ours will be one.'

Suki is waiting at the edge of the settlement. I guess the others have already started to walk towards school without me. Suki's gaze flicks between me and Mattan walking side by side. Our closeness is still a topic of secret criticism and disapproving gossip.