4. 1st day of training (for 1st years)

It was hilarious watching the first years during lunch. They each had to eat three bowls of rice... It was very hard for them (Satomi at least didn't have to eat that much). They weren't used to the practices yet, and eating three bowls of rice... was a tall order. Satomi especially found Furuya's tactic with the rice amusing. He looked like he was diligently eating the rice, but was actually pretending. His seniors found him out though. Another first year that was very amusing was the one that tried to sneak into the line this morning. Sawamura Eijun, southpaw pitcher with potential (according to Rei-san). He sat beside Miyuki, and puked next to the table... Satomi moved away from that area and went to sit next to Chris-kun. "Hello, I'm Furuya Satomi, please take care of me." He just looked at her. Did she know him? She did of course. She's admired him since he played in the senior league. "The new trainer manager, right?" he asks. "Yes, I'll be in your care. Coach and Rei-san said I could learn some things from you."

*meanwhile at a table close by* "Why does Chris seem so calm, talking to a cute girl?" (Isashiki, angry). "Haha, jealous Jun-san?"(Kuramochi). "Maybe she's nice?"(Yuki), "Growwl." (Masuko's stomach). "Why don't you go talk to her Jun-san?"(Ryosuke). "WHY WOULD I?"(Isashiki). "You said she was cute."(Miyuki –after he moved away from Sawamura's puke, he joined them at their table). "I'll go." (Yuki, taking his tray and standing up). "NO!"(Isashiki, Kuramochi and Miyuki). Maybe another time then?

After lunch Satomi made her way to the coach. He wanted her to take notes on the first years. Sawamura was on his way to the field with the rest when the coach stopped him. "Kid. Where are you going?" "Where? To test my own abilities?" "You don't have to participate. If you're bored, you can run." After that he of course talked back to coach... with spirit. If you could call it that. Satomi started laughing. This kid is hilarious. The coach then gives him a challenge: throw the ball roughly 90m to the fence, then he can pitch (the coach demonstrated the throw to him). The first years, including Satomi, were shocked. Wow. "Oh, you guys didn't know that the coach gave up a pro contract to come and coach us?" Satomi hadn't known that. She never researched the coach, only the players. And the coach wants a normal first year to do the same? Sawamura doesn't even know the distance he can throw (Onii-chan can throw 120m). Satomi herself can throw about 95m.Maybe he'll surprise us, and show us that he's (more) special. Satomi gets her notebook ready. Sawamura throws after his introduction. And his throw curves! Everyone starts laughing at him, but Satomi is shocked. What a natural moving ball! And that was almost to the fence. The coach sticks to his word about Sawamura not pitching. He looks devastated... But Satomi is sure the coach won't let his potential go to waste.

After practice Satomi sits in the bench near the field and goes through her notes on the first years. They're not bad, but none really stand out, apart from Onii-chan and Kominato Haruichi. Some others of note are Tojo and Kanemaru. Coach wants a report on her first impressions. When she gets up to go almost everyone is gone from the field, except Miyuki. He saw Satomi watching the first years with a hawks eye the whole day, and their reactions amused him to no end. By the end of practice none of them could look her in the eye. Her stare was that intense. It even made Furuya uncomfortable.

Miyuki saw her going through her notes. She had her silky hair up in a ponytail, but a few escaped strands caressed her cheeks. Pink cheeks, Miyuki thought. "You forgot to put on sunscreen Satomi-chan?" Satomi startled. Her notebook fell off her lap. Before she could move to pick it up, Miyuki handed it back to her. "Thanks Miyuki-kun. Although it fell because you scared me." Satomi replies with attitude. When Satomi stands, she fits just under Miyuki's arm. "I guess I need to go back now." "I'll walk with you." Miyuki, trying to be a gentleman, carries her notebook and pencil case for her. They walk next to each other and chat about Satomi's observations about the first years. Miyuki is surprised by how knowledgeable she is about baseball. She even gets this sparkle in her eyes talking about it.

On their way back a certain group of regulars see them. "There Miyuki is talking to your girl again, Isashiki." (Ryosuke). "I TOLD YOU SHE'S NOT MY GIRLFRIEND!" (Isashiki). "Then maybe she should become my girlfriend." (Ryosuke). "Why your girlfriend? Why not mine? She is really cute." (Kuramochi). "She is cute. So who's gonna go and talk to her?" (Yuki). *complete silence* Just then Furuya sees Satomi. He walks towards them and just looks at Miyuki. Miyuki looks surprised. "See you later Miyuki-kun." Satomi says to Miyuki and walks away with Furuya. After they are gone the regulars join Miyuki who is standing at the same place looking confused. "Man, even first years are after her?" (Kuramochi). "That's what happens when no-one can gather the courage to talk to her."(Ryosuke). "Hey, I was just talking to her!"(Miyuki). "You're not the only one that wants to."(Yuki).

Later during dinner, Satomi is sitting next to Chris. They discuss Chris's days in the seniors. Miyuki comes in, hat turned sideways. He goes to get his dinner and sits down next to Satomi. She's so into the conversation with Chris that she doesn't notice him. Miyuki takes off his hat and puts it on Satomi's head. Satomi is startled, and then notices its Miyuki. "If you wear it, it won't be so bad when you forget to put on sunscreen." Satomi blushes."Thanks Miyuki. I'll wear it". Satomi ruffles his hair. So soft. Miyuki also blushes, then smirks and goes back to eating his food.  

*at the regular table* "It's that baka Miyuki again!"(Isashiki). "He's being so eager. Maybe I should teach him about decorum." (Ryosuke, evil look). "Maybe I'll bring her some SPF50 tomorrow."(Yuki). *meanwhile, the first years*. They all look a little green in the face. The three bowls are proving to be difficult. Again.