29. Summer Festival

Satomi was staring at her face in the mirror. She was holding up a pale pink lip gloss, and puckered her lips to imagine how it would look. Her hair was up in curlers, stray hairs everywhere. That was how Furuya found her.

"What are doing?", Furuya asked from behind Satomi. "Kyaaa!" she shouted, throwing the closest thing she had- the lip gloss. Furuya had startled her, and now there was a bright red blotch on his forehead where the lip gloss had hit him.

Furuya made a pouty face. "Why did you do that?..." he asked Satomi, hand rubbing red blotch that was becoming a bump. "Well I'm sorry. But you know you shouldn't sneak up on me Onii-chan. I was getting ready for the festival."

"Festival?" Furuya asked. "Yes! The Summer Festival. Kazuya is taking me." Satomi told him, a light blush on her cheeks. Oh right... Furuya thought to himself. They're officially dating now... The news hadn't surprised anyone, but a few were disappointed they'd missed their chance.

While Furuya was still in thought Satomi finished her make-up and set to doing her hair. "Okay Onii-chan, give me 5 minutes to change and I'll catch you outside."

When Satomi came outside Furuya's breath caught. Wow, my sister is really pretty... He thought. Satomi's make-up was lightly done, her blue eyes sparkled and her lips were a glossy pink. Her hair was up in a bun, with wispy curls left around her face.

She was wearing a pink and black Sakura flower print yukata. When Satomi stepped out everyone that was passing by stopped. Kuramochi was on his way to the field when his feet stuck to the ground and his mouth fell open. He looked her up and down and gave a small "Ug, uh. You look nice..." He gave a scoff after Satomi giggled and said thank you. Why is it always Miyuki? He thought.

Just then Miyuki arrived to pick Satomi up. The sun was just starting to set, sunset was painted in reds and soft oranges. Miyuki came towards Satomi with his hand behind his back, and he couldn't help the smile that broke out when he saw her. Wow, she's so beautiful. He thought.

Miyuki was also wearing a yukata, the colours and design coincidentally similar to Satomi's. Satomi's eyes widened when she saw him, and her sweet smile made a blush appear on his cheeks.

By now, there was a small crowd around them, all of them curious to see what was going on, and when they saw Satomi and Miyuki they decided to linger.

"Ah, these are for you..." Miyuki mumbled, and presented Satomi with a small bunch of sakura blossoms, looking away embarrassedly and running a hand through his hair. "Thank you Kazuya." Satomi said with a smile, and leaned in to give him a quick kiss on the cheek.

The crowd quickly cleared their throats and found excuses to leave quietly. Miyuki looked at Satomi and gave her a soft smile. "You look beautiful, Satomi." Satomi giggled and said, "You too! And we're even matching!" She looked so happy that they were matching. I won't tell her all the effort I went through to get this matching yukata, Miyuki thought.

"Let's go!" And off they went. The festival was in full swing; food stalls everywhere, lights strung up. It was a clour explosion, and Satomi and Miyuki headed in to have fun. They got some kakigori first, and went around to look for some games to play.

As they were walking Satomi saw a kingyo-sukui stand. "Let's try that! We'll see who can catch the most goldfish!" Satomi told Miyuki with a small smirk. "Okay, let's do that. But the winner gets one wish." Miyuki said, smirking back. Satomi gave a laugh--it was so easy to get Miyuki competitive.

They spent an hour at the kingyo-sukui stand, laughing and trying to sabotage each other. "Okay, I think we should finish now. How many do you have?" Satomi asked Miyuki. "I caught 12. How many did you get?" "Ahh! I got 14! So I win! Now you owe me a wish." Satomi replied.

Miyuki smiled at her softly and said, "Anything you want." Meanwhile, the poor owner of the kingyo-sukui stand looked very sad and dejected. "Let's give them back..." Satomi whispered to Miyuki. A cheer went up when they gave them back--they even got applause, because their playful competition had also drawn a crowd.

After that they went to a shateki stand that had cute animal plushies as the targets. Of course both of them had good aim, so they all had arms full of plushies. "Should we give some away?" Miyuki asked Satomi. "Yeah, let's do that. We won't be able to carry all of them with us." So they gave some of the plushies to small children that passed them by.

After they got something to eat they went to a quiet area where they got comfortable to watch the fireworks. Supprisingly, no-one followed them to the festival this time. The fireworks display lit up the sky, bursts of colour exploding everywhere. Under that colour display, Miyuki and Satomi sat cuddled to each other, and shared a soft kiss.

After the fireworks display finished, Miyuki helped Satomi get up and have her a small side hug. "Thank you for spending the day with me Satomi." He said. "I had such a great time, thank you Kazuya." As they were walking they suddenly heard a call from behind, "SATOMI!" FURUYA SATOMI!"

As Satomi and Miyuki looked back to see where the commotion was coming from, a guy suddenly picked Satomi up and twirled her around. Satomi was shocked by the person, and Miyuki became angry.

"What do you think you're doing!" He shouted, moving closer to the guy. The guy seemed very confused. He put Satomi down and have her a hug.
"I'm just greeting Satomi, man. So relax." Satomi stepped away from him and closer to Miyuki.

He still seemed confused, so he looked at Satomi and asked, "Satomi? You don't recognize me?", in a small voice, his eyes searching hers. Satomi held on to Miyuki's arm as she studied the guys face.

As she looked at him closely her eyes suddenly widend. "Ren? Is that you?" The guy- Ren- stepped closer and gave Satomi a smile. Miyuki looked between them and asked, "Who's Ren?" And why was he hugging Satomi? Miyuki thought.