11. Summer training camp

10 minutes before her alarm was set to go off, the gentle pitter-patter of rain woke Satomi up. It was the first day of summer training camp, and the training menu was flashing through Satomi's head. The coach had asked for her input- and she gave it with poorly concealed glee (written down in a notebook, from warm up, main exercises, late afternoon break and cool down). The coach had taken the notebook and looked over the training menu, with an eyebrow raised. This girl is...so harsh. But has a good heart. I like it, coach Katoaka thought. Satomi of course made it harsh because she had heard rumours about what happened during the summer training camp, and she thought some of the players could use a good reality check... (evil smirk).

Like every other morning, Satomi got ready and took her notebook. She knew that even though it was raining, someone somewhere would be practicing. She made sure to dress warmly and take an umbrella, as now was defiantly not the time to catch a cold. As she walked past the indoor training area, she could hear a commotion. Satomi made herself comfortable in the doorway, watching Sawamura practice with everyone. Even Furuya was there. Satomi felt happy for him; she knew he had trouble expressing himself and making friends. Satomi knew Chris was going to help Sawamura, as he saw Chris as his sensei. But Miyuki surprised her by giving advice to Furuya, and Satomi laughed out loud when Furuya told Miyuki "You have a really twisted personality." Everyone greeted Satomi. She gave them some useful advice; "Spare your energy for the start of the training camp..." she of course said this in a very sinister way, and everyone sweat dropped.

During school Satomi was on her way to third year English, when she heard whisperings about the new first string members. She killed these murmurings with a cold glare. "Ah, Satomi-san is so cute, but she can be very scary..." someone said. "Yeah, and I heard that she helped work out the summer training menu...". As Satomi got to class and sat down, the regulars took their seats around her. After greetings they settled down and took out their books, all except Isashiki. "Aren't you taking out your books?" Satomi asked him.

"No need. When am I gonna use that?" Isashiki asked her. Satomi smiled a sweet fake smile, and batted her eyelashes. "Since it's been going so well with tutoring, I told the teacher all of you are ready for prepared reading in class. Did you forget?" Isashiki froze, and looked at the others. All of them had something to read, all in English of course- Masuko had a new pudding recipe, Ryosuke had a MLB monthly magazine, Yuki had a gossip magazine (why?), and Chris had Catcher in the Rye.

"You can always borrow mine." Satomi offered her book to Isashiki. He tried to read the title, "Ro-romero and Jul-juliane?" "Romeo and Juliet. Do you want to borrow it?" Satomi asked. "Eh, ah. I think I'll pass..." Isashiki replied, looking deflated. "Then you're lucky I brought the copy of Special A." Isashiki cried grateful tears. It was what he had been practicing. "Where would we be without our precious manager?" Ryosuke asked. Yuki thought about it for a moment. "Probably in supplementary lessons...". "Trying to help this lot." Chris said. Satomi's face turned very serious the next moment, a scary look on her face. "So you better not make me look bad...". A chorus of "Never!" went around. That was definitely something they didn't want to do again...

Just then Satomi's phone pinged with a message. Her phone was on the table, so Ryosuke took it and read the message, with everyone looking over his shoulder to see. Good morning Satomi-chan <3. Why didn't you reply to my message? You just forgot right?L Have a great day, Mei-chan. There was a moment of silence. "Mei-chan? As in, Narumiya Mei?" Yuki asked, voice cold. "What's going on here, Satomi?" Ryosuke asked, his face dark. "JUST WHO DOES HE THINK HE IS?!" Isashiki exclaimed. He takes the phone, and gathers everyone around, and takes a group picture of them together, with mean faces. He sends it to Narumiya with the caption: Satomi is busy. Forever. Nice knowing you. Satomi just laughed at their antics, they got so worked up.

*meanwhile at Insashiro Industrial High School*

Narumiya Mei was sitting in his classroom when his phone pinged with a message. "It's from Satomi-chan!" he happily exclaimed, drawing curious glanced from his classmates. His happy face fell however, when he saw the photo. "S-so scary... What's their problem? I just want to talk to Satomi-chan!". Narumiya took a selfie and sent it back, with the caption No need to be jealous ^.^. I'll be seeing you guys soon! And then I'll definitely see Satomi-chan. Just then he heard someone whispering "We should tell Masa-san right? He asked us to keep an eye on him..." "Do what you want." Narumiya said, his face cold. He took the picture of the Seido seniors and drew moustaches on their faces. He then sent it to Miyuki, titled such nice seniors, ne Kazuya?

*back at Seido*

Miyuki felt his phone vibrate with a message. He sweat dropped when he saw it. What the hell? I wonder what this is about. He thought. Guess I'll ask the guys later... He replied to the message with: Bored or what Mei? Just what do you think is gonna happen when I show them this? Narumiya had not thought that through... and quickly sent back, I didn't mean it!!! Miyuki gave a chuckle. It feels so good to get him riled up.

Miyuki did ask he seniors later what had happened, and showed them the picture. Isashiki got so angry he demanded Satomi's phone so he could reply. Her response was cold. "Do you have energy to worry about Narumiya's silliness when we have training?". They all sweat dropped. That was true of course. They were set to start just then.

The first years especially were having a tough time when they got to the late afternoon practice. They had to do 100 base runs, all three of them taking turns, with almost no break. And Sawamura having too many onigiri (thanks to Kuramochi, who was recalling the seniors encouraging him to eat a lot the previous year), was looking green around the gills. Satomi thought they put up a good fight, but they looked too relieved when the coach called end of practice (because it was 100 laps around the field...).

The following day was just as tough for the first years, all three of them lying half-passed out on the field. "Someone carry the first years!" Someone called.

After their practice Satomi was on her way to her dorm when she heard some noise coming from Miyuki's room. When she got there she saw Sawamura playing shogi with Yuki, and Furuya massaging Isashiki's feet... (Ouch. Satomi tried that once... and won't again. Furuya has strong hands). Mmm... Satomi thought. How did they end up there? Well, hopefully they'll get to know each other better. Satomi saw Miyuki walk with a pillow under his arm, om his way somewhere. Satomi called out to him "Oi, Miyuki. On your way to take a nap?".

Miyuki turned around and saw Satomi. "Oh, hello Satomi-chan. Well, yes. I left Sawamura and Furuya with the seniors so I could have a break..." he trailed off, giving an awkward chuckle, running his hand through his hair. "But it's so they can get to know each other better right?" Satomi asked. Miyuki laughed. "That is a nice added bonus, yes." "I know you have a heart there somewhere Miyuki." Satomi said to him, giving him a small smile. It brought a warm feeling to his heart, and he couldn't help but return the smile. "Yes, I do. Now let's see when happens when I do this..." Miyuki went after Satomi, and she tried to run away but he caught her. He started tickling Satomi, and she laughed and squirmed, and tried to get away but he held fast. After the tickling calmed down Miyuki still had his arms around Satomi, with her back to his front. Miyuki enjoyed holding Satomi like that, and she was so comfortable that she didn't try to break away.

Ping. Satomi received a message. She opened it and saw it was from Narumiya. Of course. Night-night Satomi-chan! Dream of me!- Mei-chan. Miyuki saw the message and got an annoyed tick on his brow. Satomi was muttering to herself, "Why me?" when Miyuki took her phone and quickly snapped a selfie of them, and sent it to Narumiya. "That ought to keep him quiet right?" Miyuki asked Satomi. She just laughed. "One could only hope." What Satomi didn't see was Miyuki also sending the photo to himself.

*meanwhile at Insashiro Baseball dorms*

Narumiya heard a ping. "Oh, it's from Satomi-chan!". He then saw the picture of Satomi and Miyuki, "Wait! Why is Kazuya with Satomi-chan?! What's the meaning of this?!" Just then Narumiya heard knocking at his door. "Oi! Quiet down! We're trying to sleep here!". Narumiya sat and quietly fumed.