8. Catchers and Pitchers

Along with Furuya joining the first string, Sawamura and Huruichi joined the second string. Sawamura complained about it of course, he wanted to be the first string ace... Haruichi managed to placate him when he reminded him they'll get more playing time in the second string. It didn't last long tough... Satomi was told by the coach to call Sawamura and Furuya to the A field dugout. "So, Furuya will be forming a battery with Miyuki, and you may be playing in next week's Kanto tournament. Practice your pick-offs and signs with Miyuki." Satomi told Furuya, who was listening seriously. "Ne Satomi-chan, Furya's pitches have power, but his control sucks! And he has no stamina! He'll have to throw a 100 pitches a day, hehe." Miyuki told Satomi with a funny smile on his face. Satomi ignored him. Miyuki was thinking back to the night he first caught Furuya's pitch. The look on his face was something. He knew Furuya struggled to pitch to his catchers in Junior high, but he fully understood when he saw his reaction. And because after that Furuya was always bugging Miyuki to catch for him. Back at the field Satomi was talking to Sawamura and Chris, and Miyuki noticed how animated she became when talking about baseball. She was also wearing Miyuki's hat today. When he saw her wearing it that morning he got a warm feeling near his heart, and a small smile broke out across his lips. He could tell Satomi was preparing to say something that was going to cause a reaction. Her eyes became slanted and her mouth curled into a smirk. "... and Sawamura will be training with Chris."

As predicted Sawamura reacted strongly to that. When Chris held out his hand to shake, Sawamura shouted "It's unfair! I want to be paired with Miyuki too!" Chris was of course not amused by this, and forcefully shook his hand. Satomi could feel the anger coursing through her veins. Her hands started shaking. She held it in until Chris left. "BAKAAAMURAAA!" Satomi hit Sawamura on the head. "Eeeh! It's the devil! The devil!" Sawamura yelled, covering his head. Satomi's face did look kind of devilish... it even seemed to Sawamura as if the flames of hell came to embrace her.

 {Satomi's face when she speaks to Sawamura)

"IS THAT HOW YOU TREAT YOUR SEMPAIS? IF THAT'S WHAT YOU THINK, I'LL HAVE TO TEACH YOU!" Satomi said to Sawamura, her voice booming around him

"IS THAT HOW YOU TREAT YOUR SEMPAIS? IF THAT'S WHAT YOU THINK, I'LL HAVE TO TEACH YOU!" Satomi said to Sawamura, her voice booming around him. "Ahhh! The devil is chasing me!" Sawamura tried running away, but was caught instantly. "It's no use Sawamura, just make peace with it." Furuya said to Sawamura, with a blank face. "Onee-chan feels very strongly about showing respect to sempai's." Miyuki couldn't hold it in any longer. "HAHAAHA", he laughed so hard he fell to his knees, holding his stomach, tears of laughter running down his cheeks. Meanwhile Satomi had Sawamura bowing on the ground, her foot on his back while he was apologising for being rude to Chris. "Are you going to do it again, Bakamura?" Satomi asked Sawamura, her foot pressing down more, her voice cold. "No! I promise Satomi-chan!", Sawamura replied. "You better make sure of it." With that Satomi gave Sawamura one last hard look before leaving. Miyuki and Furuya left to do some catching practice. Sawamura stayed there a while longer and went to find his trusty tire. When he got the tire he instantly cheered up and started running laps.

Satomi was still thinking about the incident yesterday when she started class. She was distracted this morning, so she didn't tie her hair; it was a silky black-blue curtain that fell down her back. Today she was joining the third years in English. She sat near the back next to the window. Yuki and Ishashiki came and sat behind and in front of her. Chris took the seat next to her. She was so lost in her thoughts she didn't notice them. "Good morning Satomi." Yuki greeted her, jolting her from her toughts. "Oh! Good morning Yuki-san, Isashiki-san and Chris-san." "So you're joining us again today huh?" Ishashiki asked her. "Yes. The first years are doing really basic stuff. And Sawamura's snoring is irritating me more than usual." "That Sawamura, sleeping in class! He's giving us a bad name!" Isashiki exclaimed. "We'll need to have a talk with him." Yuki said, emitting a dark aura. Chris just looked a little deflated. "What's wrong Chris-san?" "I just don't know what to do with that first year." Chris replied. Satomi was surprised. She thought they were a good fit. Chris could teach Sawamura a lot. Maybe Sawamura's loudness and ignorance make him feel uncomfortable? "Let me go with you today after practice, and we'll talk." Satomi has accompanied Chris a few times to the rehabilitation centre. She knew about his injury before she came to Seido- and she felt she could support him in this way. "Thank you, Satomi-chan." Chris gave her a small smile.

After Satomi got back from the rehab centre she felt better. She didn't stay until he finished, but she was there for most of it. She didn't exactly know how Chris felt, but she was hoping for the best. She was on her way to her room when she noticed someone walking very fast to the field. When she got there Miyuki was sitting on the bench with his head in hands. "That stupid Swamura! He knows nothing! How can he talk about Chris that way?" Satomi just took a seat next to him and sat there quietly. After he cooled down Miyuki told Satomi what happened. How Sawamura was still upset about being paired with Chris, and how he couldn't understand why he left practice early. He told her that he pushed Sawamura up against the wall. Satomi couldn't believe it. She has never seen Miyuki act violently before. But she understood his reasons. Chris had told her before about Miyuki in the senior league, and how hard he had tried to beat him. But she didn't hear he was scouted to come to Seido when he was only in seventh grade. "I could never beat him Satomi. Chris was the one obstacle I couldn't overcome." Satomi took Miyuki's hand and pulled him up. She surprised him by giving him a tight hug. He blushed and froze, but after a moment relaxed and hugged her back. She fit perfectly against his chest, and he laid his cheek on her head. After a while he spoke. "Ne Satomi-chan, why are you so short when your brother is so tall?" Satomi gave him a funny look. What a strange time to ask such a question. "Mama is short, and I take after her. Onii-chan is tall like Papa." Miyuki chucked, ruffling her hair. "So she's cute like you?". Satomi blushed. They walked back to dorms, bickering and joking back and forth. Miyuki's heart was lighter, thanks to Satomi.

It seemed that Sawamura had come to his senses (in a way?). Miyuki's harsh words had shocked him, and Rei had taken him to the rehab centre where Chris was training. He had fallen down on the floor to beg Chris's forgiveness when Rei told him everything. He saw how hard Chris was working just for a chance to play baseball again, while he threw the training menu's around. This morning he was following Chris around like a lost puppy, dishing his food for him, offering him toilet paper in the bathroom (that was kinda awkward...) and even following him to class. Coach finally had to order him back to the first year's class. Miyuki felt even better after seeing that. He knew Sawamura was trying to repent in his own way. When he thought back to what happened he was a little surprised at himself. It's been a long time since I reacted so strongly, Miyuki thought. Just then he saw Satomi walking by, and was about to walk to her when Furuya stepped into his path. Furuya looked at him with his expressionless face and said "Don't get any ideas Miyuki. That's my Onee-chan." Miyuki sweat-dropped. Now he wants to act like a big brother? "And also, can you catch for me later?" Furuya asked him. Miyuki laughed. There's the Furuya he knew.