20. Semi-finals

As usual, the Seido players start preparing for the next match as soon as they get back. Their next opponent is the quarter finals veteran, Sensen Academy. While Satomi and Chris review their previous games, they make note of Sensen's ace Maki Yousuke's height; he is almost 2 meters tall and is known for his high release pint when pitching his curveball (due to his height).

Satomi was on her way to the pitchers' and catchers' game review session when she saw a sulking Furuya on the way to his dorm. "Onii-chan!" Satomi called out. Furuya paused his slow sad walk, and waited for Satomi to catch up. When she got there she gave ruffled his hair; she knew he would be upset that he wouldn't be playing in the semi-final game. "Let's go talk in my room," Satomi said to Furuya, "I have jellies!" Furuya perked up a little and followed her to her dorm room.

Satomi put up a new polar bear documentary and gathered the snacks. Furuya was sitting in front of the TV with a wet towel over his face; despite him being upset about not being able to play he knew his body needed the rest (but it didn't make him happy...). Satomi brought the snacks and they watched the documentary while chatting. After a while Furuya asked Satomi a question, "Onee-chan, do you like Miyuki?" Satomi was so shocked at the question that the popcorn she was about to put in her mouth fell to the floor.

Furuya was closely watching Satomi's reaction, and he gave a small smile at her shocked face. "I mean, you do spend a lot of time with him, and you seem close..." Satomi's face became pink with a blush. She couldn't believe that Furuya, her oblivious brother, would ask her such a question. She had thought about it of course... the way she and Miyuki got along so well, and how they always seemed to be drawn together. The way she feels when Miyuki hugs her, and recently, how good it feels when he kisses her cheek or forehead. And let's not forget how handsome Miyuki looks when he smiles, or when he gets serious when playing baseball...

Furuya was still watching Satomi, and she seemed kind of spaced out after he asked her about Miyuki. She was staring into space with a goofy smile on her face. Furuya had known that Miyuki liked Satomi, but he had never asked her about it. Furuya liked Miyuki (as long as he could catch his pitches, and look after his sister properly), he could see that Miyuki would protect Satomi, and he thought their personalities complimented each other... (sweat drop- two people with twisted personalities together...). Satomi looked at Furuya, "I do like Miyuki," she said with a soft smile on her face. Furuya looked at her with a straight face and asked, "So why aren't you dating?" "..."

To prepare for the game against Sensens's Maki, the Coach himself pitched to the first string. The other seniors helped to make a big pitching mound, to show their support. The Coach's participation game energy and life to the whole team; they were all laughing and practicing together. They seemed to be as prepared as they could be. The day of the game arrives, and the first years are surprised by Maki's height. The game stays scoreless (as Seido struggles to get used to Maki's high release point) until the third inning when Sensen scores the first run. On the top of the sixth inning Seido finally scores when Ryosuke reaches home with the help of his teammates efforts.

It is known to Satomi and Chris that Sensen's players have an inferiority complex because they weren't invited to the big baseball schools. Maki especially had a grudge against Seido because he wanted to go there but wasn't invited. It seemed to Satomi that he was taking revenge on Seido for not inviting him. Haruichi is sent in as a pinch hitter and Satomi cheers for hom, "Go Haruichi!", causing his to blush bashfully. Haruichi quickly gets two strikes, but hits the next pitch over the left fielder's glove, sending the three players home.

After Sawamura struggles a bit on the mound, the Coach sends Haruichi with a message; "Masuko, don't let your cap fall off, your bald head will distract the team." There is a moment of silence, then everyone starts laughing, making the mood a little better and relaxing Sawamura. Sawamura wins his face-off with Maki, striking him out. Kawakami finishes the game, and Seido advance to the finals. As they are leaving the dugout Satomi is suddenly attacked by an energetic Narumiya Mei, him giving Satomi a hug. "Satomi-chaaan, I've missed you!" Narumiya was saying while Satomi tried to push him away.

"Uh ehm..." Narumiya heard from behind him. He sweat dropped. He had forgotten what happened the last time he hugged Satomi... Narumiya let go of Satomi carefully and slowly turned around, discreetly inching away when he saw the angry expressions of Seido's first string. "Ah, hello Seido! Oh, what's that? Is Masa-san calling me? Sorry guys, I have to go..." With those last words and an awkward smile, Narumiya quickly disappeared. "WHO DOES THAT NARUMIYA THINK HE IS?" Ishashiki exclaimed. Yuki frowned, crossing his arms, "This is the second time he hugged Satomi." "Why does he think he had the right to do that?" Ryosuke askes, and evil smile on his face. "Satomi-chan, why would Narumiya do that?" Kuramochi asked Satomi. When he got no response, they all saw that Satomi had left already, and was sitting with Miyuki on the bleachers. "That Miyuki is so sneaky. Why does he keep stealing Satomi?!" Ishashiki asked the others.

He didn't get a reply. They went to the others so they could watch the next game. Satomi's phone pinged with a message; Satomi-chan, I'll win this match just for you! ;D- Mei-chan. Satomi just rolled her eyes. She saw Narumiya going to mound, he saw her and sent her a wink, causing Miyuki to send him a glare.

Inashiro was playing against Sakurazawa, who had a unique pitcher. He was a knuckleball pitcher. He gave Inashiro a run for their money, but in the end Insashiro advanced to the finals. As Seido was getting on the bus Satomi got another message; See you at the finals Satomi-chan! Let's make a deal; if we win you have to go on a date with me :D- Mei-chan. Ryosuke heard the ping and read it after Satomi. He looked at her. "How are you going to reply?" Satomi smiled. "I'll agree of course! Because we're going to win." Ryosuke gave a chuckle and riffled Satomi's hair. "What's happening?" Yuki asked. "Satomi has so much faith in us that she made a bet with Narumiya: If Inashiro wins she'll go on a date with him." A collective "WHAAT?!" sounded.

Satomi quickly replied to Narumiya; You're on!- Satomi . "Why would I say no?" Satomi asked them. "I know you guys can win, so I won't be going on a date with him." The players were touched that Satomi had so much faith in them. "But maybe you should date him," Sawamura was saying, "he seems really cool, and he can pitch a lot of..." his words died on his tongue when everyone glared at him. "WHAT?! WHAT'S WRONG WITH WHAT I SAID?!" Sawamura yelled. Haruichi pinched him and whispered something in his ear. Sawamura looked at everyone with big eyes, and looked over to Miyuki and Satomi who were sitting together at the back of the bus.

"OOH, BECAUSE MIYUKI LIKES SATOMI?! BUT HOW WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW THAT?!" Sawamura yelled again, and this time everyone close to him slapped him on the head, Kuramochi had Sawamura in a head lock, saying, "Don't you have any sense?! Look what you did!" Sawamura's was turned to look at Miyuki and Satomi, who was now looking away from each other, the atmosphere awkward.

That Bakamura... Miyuki was thinking, a blush in his cheeks. Well, this is awkward... Satomi thought. After a while, Miyuki took Satomi's hand and entwined their fingers. Satomi was startled, and quickly looked at Miyuki, he gave her a warm smile and sent her a wink. A smile formed on Satomi's lips, and it felt to Miyuki like a shot to the heart.

They didn't let go of each other's hands until they had to get off the bus.