22. A 40/60 Chance

The day finally came. The final game. The game that would decide who would represent West Tokyo at Koshien. Satomi was a little nervous. She has been up since 3 o'clock because she couldn't sleep, so she ended up strategizing and planning for today's game. Rei's words echoed in her mind. We have a 40/60 chance of winning... Satomi gave a sigh and put her pen down. It may be 40/60 in Inashiro's favour, but you never know what could happen... If Seido has the momentum they could win. Sigh. Maybe a walk would help clear my head... Satomi thought to herself as she went outside.

At 3 o'clock in the morning it's still pretty dark out... Kuramochi thought to himself as he passed the baseball field. He couldn't fall back asleep after Sawamura woke him up with his moaning and groaning and tossing and turning (it seemed like Sawamura couldn't sleep either... and Masuko's snores could put a chainsaw to shame). Kuramochi was just wondering around, thinking about today's game when he heard voices coming from the dugout.

"We'll just have to focus. We can't let Narumiya get on a roll. Once he's warmed up our chances of scoring decrease a lot." Yuki was saying to Ryosuke. Kuramochi saw them sitting on the benches of the dugout, Yuki, Ryosuke, Isashiki and Miyuki. Ryosuke replied with a smirk, "Yes, I'll try my best to keep Narumiya busy..."

Miyuki had a very serious look on his face, one that wasn't seen often. "Yuki is right, we can't let Mei get comfortable. They have already experienced Koshien. And they'll do anything they can to go there again."

Wow, Miyuki can actually be serious... Kuramochi thought. He decided to make his presence known with a "Yo." The others were surprised to see someone besides them up so early. "Couldn't sleep Kuramochi?" Ishashiki asked him. Kuramochi gave a small chuckle.

"Yeah, Masuko's snores and Sawamura's rolling around woke me up. What are you guys doing?" "I couldn't sleep" Ryosuke said, stretching his arms. "Same" Yuki and Isashiki said. Kuramochi looked at Miyuki; he was lost in thought.

Satomi was just walking around absentmindedly, without a clear destination in mind. She was passing by the field when she heard low murmurings and laughter. She saw the guys sitting in the dugout. They just can't stay away from the field... she thought with a smile.

Kuramochi had Miyuki in a head lock (he was trying to get away without success; Ryosuke and Yuki were having a serious conversation and Isashiki was asleep, a line of drool leaving a trail on his face. This made Satomi laugh. When everyone heard her laugh they froze and looked in Satomi's direction. Satomi smiled and gave a small wave, "Having a meeting without inviting me? I'm hurt."

Everyone froze, and Kuramochi let go of Miyuki, causing him to fall to the floor. "Ah, Kuramochi!" Miyuki complained, getting up and dusting himself off. "Hello Satomi-chan." Miyuki greeted her, smiling. The others also greeted Satomi.

"Why are you awake Satomi?" Ryosuke asked Satomi. "I couldn't sleep..." Satomi joined them in the dugout, and soon they were all chatting and fooling around.

When it was almost 5 o'clock Satomi decided that it was time to go back sleep. "Okay guys, let's go back to the dorms yeah? Try to get a little rest before the game." Sounds of agreement were heard along with a few long yawns. Everyone stood up to go. They were shuffling along on the way to the dorm.

Satomi and Miyuki were walking together at the back, chatting about the game today. They were so busy with their conversation that they didn't notice they were the only ones left outside; everyone had already gone inside the dorms.

They had come to a stop, their conversation slowly trailing into silence... Miyuki was looking at Satomi, thinking that she looked so cute in her pyjamas. Satomi saw Miyuki looking at her with a funny expression on his face. She blushed and hit him on the shoulder, asking "What is it, is there something on my face?"

Miyuki just gave a chuckle, taking Satomi's hand and pulling her to him. She stumbled and caught herself on this chest. Miyuki pulled her even closer, tucking her against him. "You're so cute Satomi." Miyuki told Satomi, placing a lingering kiss on her head.

Satomi's heart was beating like a hummingbirds' wings, her cheeks flushed pink. She put her arms around Miyuki and hugged him back. Ah, this boy, Satomi thinks with a smile.

After their heartfelt moment they both went to the dorms, already back to thinking about the game and sparing a secret, special thought about their someone special.

*

When Satomi was ready to go she quickly checked her phone, seeing 3 new messages. The first one was from Raichi, with a sweet and simple message: Good luck Satomi-chan! We'll be cheering for you!- Raichi. The second one was from Sanada: Good luck today. Hope Seido plays a good game-Sanada.

The third message was from You Shunshin: Good luck today. Don't underestimate Insashiro, and especially not Narumiya. – Shunshin. This made Satomi smile. She sent all of them the same reply: Thank you! I'll make sure to give everyone your well wishes!- Satomi

***

At the game Satomi was standing in the dugout while the teams lined up before the game. Satomi took a deep breath, closing her eyes. We can do this, we can do this, Satomi chants in her head. As she looked up Narumiya looked right at her, giving a wink, pointing at himself and then at Satomi, making a heart with his hands, a big smile on his face.

Satomi's face twisted into a grimace, and she gave a little cough. "Are you alright Satomi?" Chris asked her. "I'm fine, I just became nauseous all of a sudden." Satomi replied, sending a glare in Narumiya's direction.

After that the siren sounded, and the game began. Seido scores the first run of the game, with Ryosuke, Kuramochi and Isashiki working together. Narumiya strikes out Yuki with his changeup, and goes to the dugout mad that Seido scored. "It's not like I was going for a record or anything..." Narumiya mumbles in their dugout.

Furuya's powerful pitches surprise Inashiro, and the strikes out the first 3 batters. "Well done Onii-chan." Satomi says to Furuya with a smile, handing him a batting helmet. Miyuki is struck out... he comes back to the dugout with a sheepish expression.

At the end of the 3rd inning the score is still 0-1 in Seido's favour. Narumiya keeps on striking Yuki out, and in the fourth Inashiro finally scores when Carlos reaches home. In the beginning of the 5th inning the score is 2-1 in Inashiro's favour. Furuya is sent to left field and Tanba is up to pitch.

In the bottom of the 7th inning the score remains unchanged, and Tanba gets a leg cramp. With 2 outs, 2 on base and the score 3-1, Sawamura is called up to replace Tanba on the mound.

In the top of the 8th inning Seido get back a run and the score is now 3-2, still in Inashiro's favour. Haruichi replaces Ryosuke as a pinch hitter and gets on base. Yuki manages to hit Narumiya's changeup and Seido score runs, letting them take the lead with 3-4.

Going into the 9th inning, Miyuki gets on base, when he was up to bat first. Seido doesn't score any extra runs, so they have to keep Inashiro from scoring. Sawamura starts getting nervous on the mound, wondering why Inashiro has so much drive to win.

Carlos makes it to 1st base, with Shirakawa coming up to bat. Seido needs one out to win.

Sawamura starts pitching harder with each throw, and his pitch hits Shirakawa in the head.

...

Everyone tries to cheer Sawamura up, but Miyuki can see he is behaving strangely. Kawakami replaces him on the mound, and he loses 2 runs, making the score 5-4, in Inashiro's favour.

Narumiya falls down on his knees and sheds tears of joy; the Seido players are crying as their chance at Koshien vanishes.

In the bus back to school there is silence, apart from the sound of players crying. Satomi is also sitting quietly, still in shock. "We were so close..." Satomi whispers, and starts crying softly into her hands. Miyuki sits next to her, and puts an arm around her to comfort her.

*

The seniors move out of the dorms, leaving the first and second years alone. Miyuki is already reviewing the game, thinking about the teams next chance at Koshien.