25. The Date (Part 2)

Satomi and Narumiya were sitting at a cute Cafe, outside under a big pink umbrella. Satomi was absentmindedly playing with her spoon in the ice-cream sundae Narumiya had ordered for her. Narumiya was chatting away, his eyes sparkling, although he noticed that Satomi wasn't really listening.

"Satomi-chan, is the ice cream not tasty? Should I go get you something different?" Narumiya asked, half getting up. Satomi was startled out of her thoughts. She gave a small smile. "No, I'm fine. Just please excuse me for a moment." Satomi said, getting up and walking into the Cafe. Narumiya gave a sigh. She became like this after I answered the phone and spoke to Kazuya...

While Satomi and Narumiya were at the Cafe, the first string had of course followed them. They were spread out around the Cafe, walky talkies at the ready. Isashiki was sitting next to a rubbish bin, 'blending in' as a hobo, a can with a few cents clinking inside in his hand. Yuki was sitting at a bench accross from the Cafe, surreptitiously looking at them through a pair of binoculars.

Masuko couldn't resist the temptation of the Cafe, and was seated inside with his 'girlfriend'. Kuramochi was forced to change his disguise into a girl, and he (or she rather) and Masuko were sitting inside the Cafe. Masuko had a triple ice cream special, a wide smile on his face as he enjoyed it. Kuramochi on the other hand was fuming, his wig causing his scalp to itch. And his skirt was too short! Satomi can be glad she isn't wearing a skirt, he thought, glowering at Narumiya where he sat outside.

No-one knew where Ryosuke was; he just said he would be 'close'.
Satomi headed inside to the bathroom. She felt really sad all of a sudden. Miyuki had tried to call her, and Narumiya of all people had answered the phone. Should I try calling him now? Satomi thought. Let me try.

Satomi took her phone and tried calling Miyuki.
No answer. Maybe he's mad at me? She thought, sadness settling on her face, dejection letting her shoulders slump.
Satomi made her way back to Narumiya, steps heavy.

Meanwhile, Miyuki was so busy running he didn't even hear his phone ringing. Where can they be?! Miyuki didn't know where to look, so he first started looking at cafés near the train station. He looked completely disheveled; glasses almost falling off and hair sticking up in all directions and out of breath.

Ryosuke was taking his stake-out job very seriously; he made sure he had eyes on the Cafe and on Satomi from a high vantige point. On the roof accross from the Cafe. He was lying down on the roof, binoculars trained on Satomi. He saw her going inside and reported on his walkey talky "Satomi is headed inside. I repeat, Satomi is headed inside." "I have her in sight, over." Kuramochi reported back, as Masuko was too busy enjoying his ice cream.

Just then Isashiki was startled by someone running past him looking very rushed. The person peered into the cafe and then continued running. "Strange person running around outside the Cafe, over." He reported over his walkey talkey. "I will go and check the situation, over." Yuki replied, getting up from the bench and walking into the same direction.

Miyuki was taking a short break, out of breath after running so far in such a short time. Just as he gave a stretch Yuki barreled past him, accidentally hitting his shoulder. "Oh, ah sorr- Miyuki?!" Yuki yelled in suprise. Miyuki, who was also confused, replied with, "Captain?". Yuki was frozen. A thousand thoughts was running through his head. Why is Miyuki here? What should I do? Does he know about the date?... Ah, that's probably it.

Miyuki was a bit confused, he almost didn't recognize Yuki in his disguise. Miyuki laughed. "I... haha, almost didn't recognize you in... that." He said, pointing to Yuki's disguise, still laughing, holding his sides. Yuki's cheeks became pink in embarrassment. "It's not like I'm wearing this for no reason! I'm wearing this because-", Yuki stopped mid sentance, his eyes going wide. They decided not to tell him, right?
Miyuki's eyes narrowed. Why would Yuki be here, dressed so strangely?

While Miyuki and Yuki were busy, Satomi made her way back to the table. Narumiya was busy with something on his phone, but put it away quickly when he saw her coming back. The smile on his face fell away when he saw Satomi's face. She lookes so sad... "Satomi." Narumiya said as she sat down. "You remember our bet from earlier today? When I said take me seriously for 5 minutes?" Satomi frowned, but replied, "... Yes?".

Narumiya's face became serious. "For the next 5 minutes, please don't talk. Just listen." His eyes implored her and she couldn't help but agree, even though his sudden seriousness made her a bit nervous. Narumiya gave a sigh and looked Satomi straight in the eyes.

He took a deep breath and began, "I know that you don't really like me," Satomi's eyes became big, and she opened her mouth to say something. "No, Satomi. Quiet for 5 minutes, remember? I know you have feelings for Kazuya, but don't write me off, okay? We don't know each other well, but we get along, right? If we spend more time together I'm sure you can have feelings for me to."

Satomi was shocked silent by Narumiya's revolation. Of course she'd suspected that he might like her, but she didn't know that he was so serious about it. Narumiya gave her another look. "Take the rest of the 5 minutes to think about what I've said. I'll be back." With those last words Narumiya stood up and went inside the Cafe, going to order something while he waited.

Satomi knew of course what she would say to him, but it wouldn't be easy. She kind of liked Narumiya, but not in the same way as she liked Miyuki... Satomi gave a sigh. Narumiya came back, still looking serious. He gave a small smile. "I know what you're going to say. I knew it after Miyuki phoned. But I still wanted this date with you. And I don't regret it."

Satomi took a deep breath before looking up. "You're really nice Narumiya-". "Mei, call me Mei, Satomi-chan." Narumiya offered with a small smile. "Mei, I think we can be great friends, but more than that..."

"Ugh, fine. Let's just be friends then. But expect to see me often!" Narumiya said, giving a cheerful smile. Satomi just sat there awkwardly, giving a small smile and wave to Narumiya as he stood up to leave. He waved as he left, but as soon as he turned away the smile fell from his face.

Satomi sat there for a while, deep in thought. Her secret ontourage of first string players have also left, because there was no need to babysit Satomi when there was no Narumiya. Satomi made her way back to the train station, deep in thought, her steps slow.

It was as Satomi was walking by herself that Miyuki saw her. Finally, he thought, speeding up to get to her. "Satomi!", he called. He wasn't as rushed anymore, because he saw Narumiya a while back, walking alone.

Satomi starled at the sound of her name being called. As she stopped and turned around, she saw Miyuki. She gave a smile and called back, "Kazuya!".