21. Preparations

When everyone got back they immediately started preparing for the finals. They got together to analyse Narumiya's pitching in the semi-final game. Satomi came in when Yuki was answering Ryosuke, "We have two batters who can disrupt the opponent, and players who can adapt to the situation. We can take Narumiya down this year." Yuki's advice raised everyone's morale, and everyone left in high spirits.

Later Satomi hears from Furuya that they'd had a pitchers meeting with Tanba. Satomi could guess what had been said based on Furuya's glowing aura of happiness. "Tanba-senpai told us that whoever stands on the mound is the ace." Furuya was on cloud nine, mumbling about being the ace and beating Narumiya.

At Inashiro Narumiya and Harada were studying Seido's line-up. Narumiya was getting tired and started to leave the room. "Hey, Mei! Take this seriously..." Harada scolded Narumiya, making him pause before he could leave the room. Mei looked back at Harada and gave him an amused grin. "You think I would let my chance to take Satomi-chan on a date slip through my fingers?" Narumiya laughingly said to Harada, causing him to sweat-drop. Suddenly Narumiya's faced turned serious. "I know what's at stake. I won't lose." With those words Narumiya left, leaving a contemplating Harada behind.

Back at Seido the players were pleasantly surprised by Azuma's visit, especially Sawamura. Satomi had been the one that encouraged him to visit, as she knew he also needed a kick in the rear concerning his pro career. Satomi just chuckled when the coach told Azuma he needed to lose weight. Sawamura remembered Azuma from his visit to Seido when he was still in Middle School. Sawamura asked Azuma to be a batter during his pitching practice. He wanted to practice his crossfire pitch.

Azuma agreed, and when Satomi saw him when he was leaving he was holding him stomach in pain (Sawamura had repeatedly hit him while practicing his pitching).

The night before the game everyone is again gathered in Miyuki's room. Sawamura and Furuya were sent out to get drinks, and when they get back Sawamura is surprised to see Kuramochi busy on his phone. "We want to know about your girlfriend." Yuki tells Sawamura. "SHE'S NOT MY GIRLFRIEND!" Sawamura exclaims, trying to get his phone. Kuramochi gets him into a headlock. "So you won't mind if I take her number, right?" Kuramochi asks Sawamura, squishing his face against the floor. "Let's send her a picture of us." Yuki suggests, taking the phone and trying to take a picture. Furuya is lying under the bed, mostly to hide from his sempai's giving him another menial task to do.

Miyuki had slipped out some time ago, leaving Sawamura and Furuya to care for the sempai's. Miyuki was walking with his hands in his pockets, deeply thinking about the game the next day. He remembers the previous year when they played Inashiro in the semi-finals, where only Yuki could hit Naurimya's pitches. And he was only a first year then, Miyuki thinks, he's even better now. Oh well, that's what makes baseball so fun, he thinks with a smirk.

Satomi was sitting in the dugout, scribbling with a pencil in her notebook, still thinking about strategies for the game. She knew the team was as prepared as they could be, and she had faith in them. She smiles remembering the commotion she heard when she passed Miyuki's room. It was the first strings' headquarters, kind of, even if Miyuki was almost never there since he passed on the job of looking after the members to Sawamura and Furuya. Satomi had received a message from Furuya a little while ago saying: If you are looking for me I'm sleeping under Miyuki's bed. The message made her laugh. Onii-chan has such good friends now, Satomi thinks to herself.

A ping sounded from Satomi's phone. When she saw it was a message from Narumiya she rolled her eyes. Satomi-chan, I can't wait for our date! Mei-chan. Satomi gave a frustrated groan and replied. We'll see. Don't celebrate just yet- Satomi. Narumiya thought Satomi was very funny. He decided not to reply. She has so much faith in them... Narumiya thinks to himself. If only she had that belief in me... and not someone like Kazuya. When thinking of Miyuki Narumiya had a pouting lip, and it quickly turned into a scowl when he thought of Miyuki with Satomi.

Miyuki was passing the field when he heard a frustrated groan from the dugout. It sounded like Satomi, and when he got closer he saw her typing something on her phone. He got closer silently, peeking over her shoulder to see what she was doing. When he saw that she was replying to Narumiya he got irritated. When would the guy give up? Miyuki asked himself. Well... it's not like Satomi has a boyfriend... right? Miyuki ran a hand over his face. Of course, everyone knew he liked Satomi (thanks to Sawamura), but he still hasn't confessed.

"Satomi-chan," Miyuki called out softly, so that she wouldn't be startled. Satomi turned towards the voice. When she saw it was Miyuki she gave an automatic smile, and stood up to give him a hug. It wasn't the first time they had hugged, but it still felt special to both of them. Satomi reached just under Miyuki's shoulder, and he rested his head on hers, arms around her, tucking her close to his body. Satomi tightened her arms around Miyuki and snuggled closer.

After a while Satomi looked up at Miyuki and said, "You better win tomorrow Kazuya." Miyuki looked at her. He heard her words, and also the words she didn't say. Or I have to go on a date with Narumiya. "I know you'll do your best." Satomi said and went on her tiptoes to give Miyuki a lingering kiss on his cheek. She started to move back, but Miyuki grabbed her hand and pulled her closer into another tight hug. He gave her a squeeze and kissed the top of her head. She gave him a smile and went back to the dorm.

Miyuki stood alone at the dugout, his hand on his cheek where Satomi gave him a kiss. Ah, she's so cute, Miyuki thinks with a soft smile. His smile fell when he thought about Narumiya going on a date with Satomi. He hasn't even gone on a date with her. He had to have her first date! They had to win the game anyway, they had worked hard. Let's see who's the better team, Mei. With that last thought Miyuki went back to his room to sleep. They needed all the rest they could get.