16. Tough

The next game against Murata East was called after 5 innings, ending with Yuki's homerun. Satomi was glad they didn't play the whole game- the summer will be long and hard. She was also worried about Furuya. The heat in Tokyo and Hokkaido were worlds apart- even Satomi was struggling with the heat (enough to faint at the opening ceremony...). They were all sitting on the bleachers to watch their next opponent, which will be decided in the game. Satomi was sitting with Chris, both of them with notebooks ready. Furuya and Sawamura was sitting with Miyuki, eating the sandwiches the managers made.

"We need to keep an eye on pitcher, "You Shunshin," Chris was saying to Satomi, "he is an exchange student from Taiwan, and fell in love with Japanese baseball. He's always the last one to leave practice and is trusted in his team. His favourite food is gratin and his best subject is modern Japanese. He likes singing 80's karaoke music." Satomi sweat-drops. "Isn't that information a bit to detailed, Chris-san?" Satomi asks Chris. "You never know when information would be valuable." Chris replies, patting his notebook. Everyone around them looks at his notebook with big eyes, each wondering what secrets it held.

"You two should also watch him," Miyuki was saying to Furuya and Sawamura, "he has something you don't have. Control. He's known as 'Clockwork'." Miyuki of course says this to rile them up, and he's successful. Satomi sends him a smile, chuckling at his antics. Furuya lets out a fired up aura, and Sawamura exclaims: "I will claim the title of 'Clockwork'!" Everyone laughs at this, leaving Sawamura flustered. Back to the game, Satomi and Chris are thoroughly observing both teams, but Akikawa ultimately wins.

The team starts preparing for their next match, with Chris and Satomi strategizing on how they think You Shunshin will pitch to them. It's decided that they should focus on bunts and speed, and not to doubt their swing. The media visits Seido, actually wanting to see the new 'Monster Rookie', Furuya Satoru. He is nowhere to be found though... Miyuki looks for him, and finds him napping inside in the shade.

"Hoi, Furuya!", Miyuki shouts to him, trying to wake him up. Furuya doesn't stir, and mumbles "Snow, and polar bears..." Miyuki sweat drops. When he could finally wake him up, they head to the bull pen. Miyuki notices Furuya struggling to handle the heat, and he thinks back to how Satomi fainted at the opening ceremony. He sends Furuya to rest after a few pitches.

Satomi was on an errand to get some necessities from the mall when she walked into unexpected trouble. It was midday, the sun shining brightly, and hot of course- it was summer after all. Satomi wore pastel blue shorts and a white blouse decorated with lace. Her long black hair was tied into a high ponytail. She wore sneakers for practicality, but it gave her a sporty vibe. She had her shopping list in her hand, and was going through the list. She was one block away from the mall when she heard a commotion in one of the alleyways. Satomi didn't think much of it- maybe it was a hungry cat scourging for food. When she got closer she heard a feminine scream, and quickly rushed towards the noise.

When Satomi arrived she saw a girl, maybe 7 or 8 being cornered by two scrawny looking guys. She saw the girl was scared, she was huddled as close to the corner as she could be. Satomi decided she needed to intervene; how could she leave the girl to fend for herself? "Hey, what do you think you're doing?!" Satomi shouted to them, quickly putting her list in her pocket. They were startled when they heard her, but when they saw a small, short girl they laughed it off. One looked her up and down, telling her with a smirk, "We just havin' some fun. You could join us." While the one was talking, still holding the girl, the other guy came closer to Satomi.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you." Satomi told the one coming closer to her, moving into an attack stance, feet apart, knees bent and arms ready. "Aww, the little girl thinks she can take me on? How cute." The one guy says, lunging closer trying to grab Satomi's arm. Satomi took hold of his wrist, pulling him towards her, bending his arm behind his back and sending him crashing into the wall, lights out. The other guy looks on with shock on his face, starting to inch away in the direction furthest away from Satomi. Satomi lets out a mocking chuckle. "Going somewhere, creep?" she asks him, smirking. "I don't want no trouble... we were just playing." The last guy standing says, his friend groaning on the floor.