•Chapter 34•

"You forgive people simply because you still want them in your life."
- Unknown

<Hazel's>

How do I manage to mess up a coffee date with my friend only to find out that I wrongfully accused my own father of outing me to a super villain that just so happened to be related to me?

Needless to say, I have some big apologies to hand out.

As soon as we walked into the cave, Bruce was questioning us, and Damian was giving me complex looks every time I would answer a question.

Tim agreed to take Katie to her house, so he wasn't able to answer any questions, meaning I did a lot more talking than Jason because he has been weirdly silent since the incident.

"Well... remember when I ran out?" I start off, "well, I was stopped by this scary looking dude, and he handed me a card and the card said if I wanted answers then I should call it, so I was thinking about calling it, but I didn't because Jason found out and got really mad." I say, trying to slow down, as I realize I am talking a lot faster than normal. "Anyways, we gave it to Tim so we could track the guy, but Tim never destroyed the card, and that's how Black Mask knew where I was; the card was listening." I say looking to Jason for reassurance, because everything I just said sounded absolutely insane and Bruce's expression doesn't scream impressed.

He catches the act and winks at me, a smirk tugging at his lips. Bruce turns away just as he adds,"And don't worry Brucie, we left the card in one of the pockets of Blackie's men."

"Jason." Bruce gives a warning look at his second oldest before his eyes look back to me.

"But I don't get why." Jason says suddenly, ignoring Bruce's scolding.

I wrap my arms around myself in an attempt to make myself feel better as I speak up. "I know why." I breathe out. It's all I have been able to think about since we found out about the card. "I played into the plan, actually. He wanted me to doubt everyone I trusted; he wanted me to not have anyone to turn to. He wanted me to feel alone because someone who is alone is the easiest to manipulate."

It's one of the things I had to study. The criminal mind can be a lot of things, and Black Mask fits the manipulative character perfectly. The only question is is if he can actually manipulate me to do what he wants.

I didn't realize the silence until I looked up and found the two of them looking at me. "I had to study the criminal mind." I defend quickly.

Still the silence carried on, causing me to shift uneasy before Bruce clears his throat.

"So it wasn't your father." He states as he changes the subject, Jason eyes silently studying my expression.

Guilt crashes through my chest as I force myself to nod.

I yelled at him for no reason. I thought he sold me out... his only daughter, his only true family left...

"Do you know where he is?" I question, my mind set on apologizing.

"He should be with Alfred in the kitch-"

I was moving before he even finished the word, my legs taking long, quick strides toward my father.

"Hazel, hold up!"

"I can't, I need to-"

Jason pulls me back by my wrist, turning me towards him. I open my mouth to scold him for stopping me, but he cuts me off by saying, "Just don't forget that he tried to manipulate you. Apologize, and even forgive if you need to, but don't forget that he isn't the only person who deserves an apology." He smiles reassuringly, giving my hand a light squeeze before nodding back to Bruce. "I will stay in here, just let me know when I need to beat him up."