Chapter 3: Stumbles On The Way

Persephone didn't feel pain or any of the jagged rocks from the paved ground in her back. So, when she slowly opened her eyes and saw a beautiful face, but it was marred with harsh lines and a frown, she realized that Hades vanished under the ladder and had easily caught her. 

Persephone was slightly embarrassed but it was quickly covered by her husband's fiery expression, she knew that her cheeks were burning brightly because she was so close to him and she didn't enjoy that he had such a deep effect on her. However, this was Hades she was talking about, he had an effect on everybody. 

His strong arms were holding her securely locked and close to his body, which made a deep breath of relief escape her lips. She was not entirely clumsy, but she has had some severe injuries from falling off of wobbly boulders and slipping into puddles. She looked back up the tree, she realized the height from the top of the tree to the ground was a great deal, she wondered why she hadn't noticed that before getting up there? However, she knew the answer to that; she was too distracted to even notice that it would be dangerous. 

Persephone laughed nervously whilst comfortably being in Hades arms. "Er- the pomegranates looked a bit-" her lips froze shut. Hades jaw twitched and his dark brows were in a deep frown, the type that could even scare the most sinister of demons in the Underworld, but not Persephone, she found his temper quite entertaining and surprisingly mild compared to other boisterous gods and goddesses. Persephone inwardly chuckled at the immaturity she witness back home at Mount Olympus.

Suddenly, she spotted mystical ebony smoke beginning to swirl around them and the nearby plants. Instantly she panicked, she quickly anchored her arms around his neck and laid her bare feet lightly on his armoured ones. She stayed close to his face, and even though she was curvaceous, her weight was nothing for him.

Persephone understood why he was mad, even though the tree wasn't high it still would have been a nasty fall. 

She took a glimpse into his dark eyes that were clouded like the sun is before a storm threatens to pass. A hard ache settled in Hades jaw, and then she realized that he was gritting his teeth against each other trying to keep from lashing out.

Her slim hand slid up his shoulder and rested on his set jaw, it was like he sank into her touch when his head tilted in her hand.

Persephone leaned on her toes and placed a soft kiss on the lips that were pressed in a hard line, but they were released as soon as she laid her lush lips on them. Hades fused them together, his lips searching hers with fiery need to seek reassurance and release. They stood without speaking for a while, but she didn't mind at all. She enjoyed his heat that was icy cold to others when they got to close to Hades. But for her, she could see under his grim mood. Persephone loosened her hold on him, his arms stayed at his side but he didn't even need to touch her, she couldn't feel his thunderous gaze. 

Persephone glanced towards the black smoke that was appearing around them quickly disappear, and the fire that began to eat Hades navy blue cape extinguished as fast as the flash of light.

Finally, his strong arms circled her waist and pressed her closer. A feeling satisfaction blooded in her chest for calming him down, she grinned. "It's not funny," he growled.

"I know."

"You could have gotten hurt," his gravelly voice answered immediately.

She sighed. "I understand that-"

"Yet, you still went on the ladder."

Her head slightly tilted to the side before she asked. "Did I stop you from going to the gates today?"

Hades gave her a puzzled look. "No," he said. "But I don't see what that has anything to do with this?"

She grinned. "It has everything to do with this," she said with a short chuckle. "Knowing how dangerous the river of lost souls can be, I still let you go-" she jabbed her finger in his chest. "I didn't interfere in your duties as king because I trusted you to stay safe."

"Seph, I get that but-"

"I know," she interrupted knowing exactly what he was thinking. "You were worried, as a husband should be, but I can take care of myself, always have-" she turned and glanced at the red globes that wafted a scent of ripe sweetness and summer nights. "And trust me, I've been in worse situations than falling from a ladder," she revealed while all the times she's been injured, played in her head like a story book.

Hades brooding shoulders finally lifted when his lips slightly curled up. "I remember when you fell off a willow tree."

She giggled at the memory, "Now that would have been a nasty fall if you hadn't been there to catch me."

His eyes began to glisten as they reflected the twinkling stars above them. "Why am I always rescuing you from trees?"

Persephone's heart fluttered as there was heat, burning through every inch of her immortal body. "Don't ever stop catching me from trees," she could have bitten off her tongue when she heard that thought escape.

His hands settled at her waist, drew her in closer, fitting softness to strength. "I'll always protect you-" he rested his forehead leaning against hers. "No matter what comes our way."

She had only just nodded her head, and the next thing she knew she was holding his strong arms to stable herself as they flashed into their darkly lit bedroom. 

Completely alone and in each other's arms.