Chapter 28: The Dark Goddesses

Persephone gobbled down more food than she ever ate in her life. She was starving ever since she woke up and she didn't understand what could've brought this change in her.

"I don't know why I'm so hungry," she told Hades as she took drank away the freshly squeezed orange juice.

"You were asleep for days," he leisurely watched her eat away the buffet.

Persephone told him that she was absolutely restored back to health now and her body wasn't disoriented anymore, but he still didn't leave her side all morning which she didn't argue against because she knew how much he was worried about her.

Persephone leaned back in the chair and noticed the warmth coursing through her blood, she didn't know how long she'd have to wait in order to feel her true power again, but damn had she missed the sensation of purity. Persephone didn't show Hades, but the remnants of Kore's power was still imbedded in her blood and the veins around her inner wrist proved it. The bluish green veins had turned horridly black, and the thin veins climbed up her wrist like dead rose vines.

"Are you ready to go?" asked Hades.

"Yes," she answered and grabbed his extended hand to go to Mono for some answers concerning these new powers of hers. "I'm a bit nervous though," she muttered.

"Don't be," reassured Hades.

"I can't help but think that Mono will say something unsettling," revealed Persephone.

Hades glanced at her. "Why are you so worried about these new powers?"

"You didn't see what I saw," said Persephone. "There was emptiness in Kore's eyes that showed me that her heart was cold and bitter."

Hades grew quiet and so did she.

They strode together beyond the fires of Tartarus towards a small hut she had visited before. She still remembered the dusty windows that had cobwebs instead of curtains. The wood was creaky and old whilst the short chimney always had smoke exiting the chambers.

Hades knocked.

"What do you want!" A voice snarled.

Persephone chuckled. It was good to know that Mono was still the same old sage and that he changed for no one.

"Mono," Hades called out. "It's Hades."

"Like I said," repeated Mono. "What do you want?"

Persephone stepped forward. "Mono!" Persephone called out to the stubborn sage who preferred his own company over others. "It's Persephone, I need your help."

A breeze of silence drifted around them.

"It's no use," grumbled Hades.

"Hold on," she whispered.

Abruptly, the door squeaked open and Mono's cloaked figure was revealed under the dim light.

"Hello, Mono," she greeted politely, and for a second, she felt a deep sense of reassurance upon setting her eyes on this sage.

"It's good to see you back on your feet," said Mono as he moved to the side and opened his door wider to let her inside his cozy yet creepy home.

"So," Hades walked up to Mono. "You open the door for her but not your only friend."

Mono rolled his eyes. "Would you like some tea, Persephone?"