Chapter 19: Yes, My Queen

"Cerberus who did this to you?" Hades rested his hand on the hound's belly which was slowly rising and falling; Hades didn't have to heart to wake up his friend, so he drew his cloak over his body, and grimly stalked to the gates of the underworld, alone.

"Charon," he called out towards the vast grey waters that had no end, and slowly a creaky wooden boat came gliding over the dark blanket with a tall skinny figure perched on top, the cloaked figure held a long paddle to row and a flickering torch was hung at the front so the ancient knowledgeable being could see his path, although Hades doubted Charon needed it.

"Hades," a deep melodic voice spoke, Charon gracefully bowed before turning the boat for Hades to get on.

"I'm sure you have already heard," said Hades.

"Yes," he answered. "I'm sorry, is Cerberus alright?"

"He is," said Hades.

"I heard our queen healed him gallantly," Charon's thin smile appeared.

Hades leaned back on the wooden railing of the boat. "She did well."

Charon's hollow eyes watched the boat swim gracefully over the river. "Hades, I know you're not here just for a boat ride," he remarked. "It's natural for this disturbance to trouble you."

"No," said Hades. "This isn't normal, an attack like this wasn't ordinary."

Charon swung the long paddle to the other side. "Do you believe there is something black in the water?"

Hades eyes blackened. "I need you to keep an eye out, Charon," he said. "Cerberus and you are the few that I truly trust."

Charon smiled and skillfully curved the boat.

"Whoever did this..." Hades icy voice rumbled through the endless river and roared through the fires of the underworld.

"I know Hades," Charon answered to his king's sour mood. "I will keep an eye out for anything suspicious," said Charon as Hades departed the boat. "But may I suggest-" Charon waited for Hades approval to continue- "The guards... warn them that souls are much harder to control than one thinks, and Hades just because a ghost is dead doesn't necessarily mean they're lost."

Hades stiffly nodded and left Charon for his duties, his feet took him to his court but when he spotted decorations being displayed and tables being set, he had totally forgotten that the celebration of the dead was tonight.

"Hades," a familiar voice called out.

Hades recognized the dark black clothes and the low cape draped on those broad shoulders, a strong man with ebony horns approached with a small smile that reached those marigold yellow eyes; it was his minister Aeacus. "Is something wrong," Hades asked finding it odd that Aeacus wasn't at work.

"No," he answered. "I just wanted to see my friend."

"Walk with me," said Hades leading them down the halls of his castle.

"How is Cerberus?"

Hades placed his hands behind his back and noticed that he had a deep frown ever since he left Seph. "He is well," said Hades grimly.

"That hound is strong," said Aeacus. "Don't worry about him, he'll be fine."

"I'm not worried about him," said Hades.

"Then what's with the gloomy mood," said Aeacus teasingly.

Hades snapped. "This is not a joke, someone attacked Cerberus knowingly that it would hurt me. This wasn't some mistake, someone planned this."

Aeacus looked at Hades suspiciously. "Do you think your brothers have anything to do with this?"

"No," said Hades positively. "They would rather attack me head on, than play cunning schemes."

Aeacus groaned. "Oh right, I forgot that's more of your thing."

Hades grunted at that remark and made Aeacus chuckle softly.

"We'll find who did this, Hades," said Aeacus. "But for tonight, let's enjoy the dead."

Hades reluctantly smiled and remembered that no shadow can linger in the dark forever, at one point they would reveal themselves and Hades would destroy them. But that wasn't truly what worried him, this attack was really close to him, and the only thing he needed to protect was in the middle of it all. Seph was always too curious for her own good, and now that someone was targeting him how was he supposed to keep her away from all of this, it's not she was the type to step back either- like her parents.

"I'll see you at the party," said Aeacus snapping Hades out of his thoughts.

Hades entered his chambers to find Cerberus wagging his tail whilst Seph sat on the dark lounge chair with a book propped on her bare thighs and her solemn eyes drifting over the pages. He silently tossed his cloak on the bed and took a seat next to her.

"You smell of wet dirt," she commented as she flipped another page.

Hades was slightly surprised by Seph's sudden sharp nose. "Yes, I was with-"

"Charon," she interrupted. "I guessed you would go to him for advice."

"You did?"

Seph's amber eyes sparkled under the low light as she gazed at him. "He's one of your old friends and a loyal follower," she stated. "Is he not?"

"No, you're right," he said but Hades closed his mouth from saying anything further.

Seph closed her book and turned on the chair to face him. "Usually, you jump to tell me what's on your mind."

Hades stayed quiet.

"I'm patient though," she teased. "I can wait."

"I want to keep you safe," he defended himself.

She smiled. "I know, that's why I'm not pushing."

"I have a reason for this-"

"I'm holding back, Hades," Seph interrupted. "I'm quite angry right now too-" Hades stayed quiet- "you should be telling me everything so I can help you, but I know, this is something you need to do on your own."

She got on her feet and turned away.

"Seph," Hades called out before grabbing her hand. "Thank you."

Seph's hand warmed in his grasp.

-Persephone's POV-

Persephone laced her fingers with Hades and made sure their hands stayed like that for a while. She knew a million things were running through his mind, so she thought it would best to stay quiet even though she wanted to know everything about the attack, and especially what Charon told him.

Persephone kneeled between his legs. "Is the god of hell, anxious?"

His crimson eyes sparked alive.

"It seems that he's lost his touch," she teased.

Hades jaw tightened. "Seph."

"We'll be alright," she said sternly. "You do what needs to be done to protect our home and put the arse that hurt Cerberus in his place, is that clear?"

Hades cupped her nape, and this time, his eyes were focused with sheer determination. "Yes, my queen."