Chapter 34: New Year's Fate

To the day the goddess of spring and the god of the dead were fated to be together. 

The sun basked its glorious light all over the meadow in Sicily where the goddess of spring rested

The sun basked its glorious light all over the meadow in Sicily where the goddess of spring rested. She had pulled the stubborn weeds out of the flower patches and replaced the barren dirt with fresh soil. Her hands still dirty and her gown was drying under the heat of the sun, she finally took a moment to appreciate her hard work.

"As always, it's a pleasure seeing you work, Persephone," said Naida. The water nymph stretched alongside Persephone. Persephone had never seen a more beautiful nymph. She wore a metallic gown that had a slit on each side of her legs. The nymph's long indigo hair was always wet from being in the small lake next to the cave. She had eyes as blue as the ocean waves that pushed and pulled on the rocky shore.

"Thank you, Naida," said Persephone. "And it's with your help that I was able to plant everything today."

Naida waved her hand and propped her elbow on the flat rock. "I do these types of things only for you, dear," she said. "Otherwise, I'm usually asleep around this time of day."

Persephone chuckled. "It's twelve o'clock in the afternoon," she pointed out, but the water nymph just shrugged with her shoulder- that had water droplets skimming down her arm, they almost looked like diamonds.

"Persephone!" A voice screamed from beyond the thick trees. Naida and Persephone both knew who it was when a tall figure appeared dressed in an opal green dress and hair as pink as cherry blossoms.

"Yes, Amadrya," replied Persephone. The nymph of trees ran across the meadow of green grass that matched her eyes.

"I have great news," she announced eagerly.

Persephone got up from the floor and rested her back against the boulder like Naida. "What is it this time?" she asked. "And it better be good."

Amadrya's green eyes lit up. "It is really good," she alleged. "Zeus is holding a new year's party tonight."

Persephone and Naida glanced at each other and their expression matched. Pure boredom. "That's not good news," she said with a sigh. "My mom already told me about that and I refused to go."

Amadrya gaped at her. "But why?" she asked looking dismayed. "It's the biggest party of the year."

"So," said Naida. "That stupid room will just be full of stupid gods who have stupid self-esteem issues."

Persephone laughed. "This is the reason why I stay with you," she confessed to the water nymph.

"Did I just hear the word 'party'," another voice spoke from the bright light that shined through the space between the leaves. It was the light nymph, Ilaria. She stepped out from under the light with a brilliant smile that reached her yellow eyes. Her golden complexion complemented her bright blonde hair, which was heavy and long enough to reach the floor. She wore a short dress that matched the yellow dandelions sprouting next to her bare feet.