Chapter 24: Welcome Back

Persephone's stomach churned as she held onto Hades strong and confident hand

Persephone's stomach churned as she held onto Hades strong and confident hand. He laced his fingers with hers and silently reassured her that everything would be alright, and that he's right next to her for everything. But she knew that she would have to face her mother alone.

They emerged from the cool turbulent portal that pushed them onto a bright golden platform. They left the open veranda and entered through the side chambers. Persephone stepped into a grand hall that had several seats arranged for the gods and goddesses, but as the gates came to pass, she winced the moment she arrived in the west chambers, she shut her eyes and took several moments to adjust to the intense light. The court was surrounded by colossal pearl white pillars that were lined up symmetrically, the seats were carved out of marble and iron, but she knew that Zeus's throne was made out of silver and gold; her father would always let her play on it when she was a kid.

"Was it always this bright," grumbled Persephone.

Hades chuckled. "Your eyes just got used to the darkness like mine," said Hades.

"Persephone," a deep and hearty voice rumbled in front of her, a pair of massive shoulders blocked the light which allowed her to look up. The king of gods and her father stood tall and proud, his silver hair sat just above his strong shoulders which contrasted against his deep sea blue eyes and taut bronzed skin. His silver armour clanked and shined under the starlight's blaze, he truly looked invincible and very much intimidating.

"Father," she greeted and hugged him back.

"How is my child?" Zeus asked with a cheeky smile.

"I'm good father, thank you," answered Persephone. "And you?"

"Better than some," said Zeus winking at his daughter because they both knew who he was implying about.

"Persephone!" A female voice screeched from the hall.

Persephone kept a smile on her face. "Mother."

Her mother pulled her tightly into an embrace. "How are you, midear" Her mother held her at arms-length and inspected her with meticulously worried eyes.

"I'm fine, mother," she said. "Better than fine actually," Persephone tried to reassure her mother, but Demeter shot the nastiest look at Hades who seemed very bored with the family reunion. Persephone inwardly grinned, she could just imagine his lack of excitement, especially when Zeus gave Hades a big bear hug.

"Zeus," Demeter spoke. "Why don't you take Hades to the dinner table first."

Zeus and Hades shared a look but they knew no one could dispute Demeter right now. "Of course, dear," said Zeus and he led Hades away from Persephone.

Demeter took Persephone to her own chambers. Persephone played a lot and trained even more in her mother's quarters.

"Tell me truly how you are feeling now?" Demeter asked.